NW BUG, Unknown

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

I just saw the sstrangest bug. Its a crawly/flying thing. It has an oval back, about 1/4" x 1/8". The oval has a perfect "X" of white on its back. The sides of the " X " are rust/reddish, there is a small spot of black at the top of the "X", and the bottom of the "X" is black. Then I saw it fly/hop?, could it be some form of ladybug??

Regards;
bluelytes

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

No, not a ladybug, but that's as far as I can go with this ID.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Maybe a Harlequin bug, which would be a bad bug.

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

MICK,
I checked google images for "Harlequin bug", and that is not the same as I saw. Thanx, though. Maybe not a nassy bug, who knows, lol

Best Regards;
bluelytes

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Sounds like a "cotton stainer" or "red bug" - family Pyrrhocoridae, very possibly in the genus Dysdercus. However, they don't live in Washington! But several of them have that coloration with the white X on the back.
Have you checked the plant bugs - family Miridae? They are all over North America, especially in the western US. It does sound like this is a true bug (as opposed to beetles, etc...)

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

CEE,
TY. I googled "images" for the names you provided. Not the one, but I will keep trying. I expect to have a digital cam this weekend, and will hope to have a pic of it posted soon. Thanx.

Regards;
bluelytes

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.