Air- Potatoes vine or Monkey Ball vine

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

I am looking for the Air- Potatoes vine or Money Ball vine. I used to grow them few years ago and they are pretty heart shape leaves. The ball became rotten and died. I couldn't find any more to plant. I would love to have few of it so I can grow them on my arbor for shade. Thanks. I will happy to send SASE for it or We can TRADE. :-)

[ Removed by member request. - Admin ]

Florence, AL(Zone 7a)

MiniSchnuz, I have something I think is called Air potato Vine---It's a discorea of some sort, anyway, and does put on little potatoes along the vine itself, as well as the tuber that is the root. They sow themselves vigorously here, and I'm surprised yo were able to kill them in your zone. Karma, what you're talking about is Sweet Potato Vine (Ipomoea batatas), and I've never seen them make above-ground 'potatoes'. What shape are the leaves on yours? They come in both spade-shaped and a three-to-five lobed version. If the dark one is spade-shaped, let's trade---mine's the lobed.

Florence, AL(Zone 7a)

Me again---see the post from a few days ago, about the D. bulbifera. I think that's what you had,and mine's another kind---smaller, and maybe moe invasive than the bulbifera.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I just got an air potato vine at a nursery in Mississippi about a month ago. This kind has HUGE potatoes on the vine. I just planted it so it doesn't have potatoes yet. I also have the spade shaped (Black Ace or Black heart) sweet potato vine. I have some cuttings rooting now.
Cala

Mishawaka, IN(Zone 5a)

KarmaHappyToes!
You have a potatoe vine that is a red purple and a variegated ? not Ipomoea Batatus ?
does it set seed or does it root easily ?

Carol
A vine lover!

Mishawaka, IN(Zone 5a)

KarmaHappyToes,
Okay now I know which ones you mean as they
are in my 2 hanging baskets! Just didnt
want to miss a new vine going on there
I didn't know about LOL Up here the names are
tagged Blackie, Pink Frost, and Chartruese!!

Thanks
Carol

Mishawaka, IN(Zone 5a)

Well thank you so much!!
I have noticed this phenommena of Nurseries
giving different names to the same plants.
and alot of the time some are even wrong!

I know on one list I am on for Abutilons
and Salvia's and Brugmansia that tags are
always not what they truely are..

I would share if I had something different !

hugs
Carol

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

If anyone has any extras i love all vines..air potato and sweet potato are espescially appealing to me...I'm always up for a trade
sandy

Mishawaka, IN(Zone 5a)

I just went and bought a nice Indian Summer trumpet vine
and they had it marked down really nice.. it is huge
5 feet tall and in bloom too! Lowe's where I buy my
on sale items, has some nice sales this time of year too..

Don't you just love it when nurseries just put on the tag
Foliage plant or blooming plant. Good thing we know
what we are looking for when plant shopping !

Carol

Florence, AL(Zone 7a)

Calalily, what do you want for a cutting of your Ace of Spades? I can send you the lobed Blackie, or the chartreuse one, or both!

Palmyra, VA(Zone 7a)

Mini,
Are you still looking for those air potatoes?

This message was edited Monday, Jul 23rd 11:15 AM

Edgewater, FL(Zone 9a)

I have the air potatoe vine. It grows wild in the woods next to my house, (I own the lot). I would be happy to send anyone some of the potatoes. But I must warn you, it will take over your whole yard if you don't keep it in check.

This message was edited Tuesday, Jul 31st 10:12 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.