Trellis for Sun Gold Cherry Tomatos?

Willits, CA(Zone 8a)

I grow Sun Gold Cherry tomatoes every year and no matter what I try, they grow out of control....all over the place.

The regular tomatoe cages are a waste of time. The plants out grow them in a few weeks. I tried putting them next to the fence last year and they quickly outgrew the fence then wandered over into the cucumber vines and neighboring tomato plants.

Has anybody else grown these and how do you control them. I was thinking of a trellis maybe? I think they're quite heavy, especially when full of tomatoes, so I need something strong.

I've seen Texas Tomato Cages at our nursery....they're big but also quite expensive. Has anybody tried them?
I may have to break down and get one if I can't come up with anything else.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I make cages out of concrete reinforcing wire. They are only five feet tall, but can be made as wide as you like, and the wires are far enough apart to reach in easily. The plants grow easily up over the top, but the plant doesn't tip. I clip the horizontal wires along the bottom of the cage so that the vertical ones stick 6 inches into the soil. A stake helps, too.

This year I'm trellising my sungolds up an 8 foot trellis on twine, as well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.