ocean mist - japanese iris

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

this is a first bloom for me :)

Thumbnail by Charlotteda
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Yum! Tell me, can you find stamens with pollen?

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

WEll... I dont know...I've never looked :) :)

Well...a....hmmm..... do you think you could..a... well, you know, get a little personal with the private parts and lift up the thingy sticking out and see if there is yellow powderery stuff on the do-jiggy under the thingy...

Disclaimer: I am not an iris pervert! I just get tired of spending good $s on JIs that are pollen sterile! It's not like they tell ya in the catalog descriptions!

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

:) :)

tomorrow when it dries here... I'll do some investigating :)

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Are Japanese iris hardy in zone 5? That one is so pretty and I would love to have different types of iris. Most of what we have now that are doing well are the German bearded ones. Some LA that are doing so so. I need to put more azalea fertilizer on them again. That is what Tazzy said was best for them.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Jap iris will be OK in zone 5. I have Ocean Mist but mine is just breaking the surface....won't flower until late July!

Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

Beautiful. Do any of the Japanese iris rebloom?

Sandy

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I just love your Japanese Iris. It's so relaxed and peaceful.

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

okay..paralindum...if I looked at the right thingy at the right time...LOL... I did NOT see any noticeable pollen...sorry !

Thanks Charlotteda. At one time I had around 20 different varieties of Japanese iris and I could get pollen off of maybe 2 or 3 of them. Makes you wonder how they ever come up with new varieties! The ones that have alot of "frills" in the middle are the worst because the hybridizers somehow convert the anther/stamens into sterile "petaloids".

I really love the JIs too and they are relaxing to look at. I wish their bloom season was longer and they had more blooms per stalk.

If you want to stretch the season a little I found that Good Omen started blooming early and Azure Ruffles started as most of the others were winding down.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I love the look of the JI's. I know some people grow them successfully here in NE. The only one I've tried died. Do they need more water than regular bearded Iris or some kind of special care?

Susan

JIs definitely need more water than the beardeds since they are considered a pond or bog plant. I've also heard that they really like manure which I think beardeds don't because there is too much nitrogen........my memory is a little foggy at 4am, but I think this is right. LOL

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

If anyone has a few oldies, I would like to try a few for postage or a trade. I have a low spot that I bet they would love.
Teresa in KY

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

JI's are VERY hard to come by for trade Teresa. I've tried for years and only been able to get a few.. and I had some good stuff to trade to...LOL

I think the most difficult aspect of the JI's is that they love wet feet during the growing season but want it drier when they are dormant...thats harder to accomplish than most iris beds.

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Here is a nice pink Japanese called 'Blushing Snowmaiden" that I grow. I love Japanese irises.

Shirley

Thumbnail by mrsspeedsgarden
Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

This one is Royal Robes.

Shirley

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Lion King

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Beautiful pics! Thanks for sharing. :0)

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Oh they are so beautiful !!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Mrs. Speed's Garden is fabulous!

I love blue and yellow together. Royal Robes is stunning. They are all pretty.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.