1200 Step coleus addiction Program Part II

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

The first "1200 Step coleus addiction Program" was getting a little long for dial-ups, so here is a continuation.
I'm looking for just the right spot to plant this one.
Add as many Steps here as you can. LOL
Here' my next one. Buy one of these!
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Wow Sidney! Just beautiful!!! Is that 'Dipt in Wine'? It's gorgeous.

I think it is Brinda.
Now to a look at my GHW newbies;
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

They sure look better than they did on Friday! So, what are their names? LOL Inquiring minds, ya know.

I'm almost ready to go out and check them against my order. I got a $11.50 credit from them. I will use it and spend the next year trying to find a closer source for next year. As I travel, they were supposed to e-mail me when they shipped. That did not happen.
It was a real miracle I was home and found them as soon as I did. This non stop heat here in FL could have totally cooked them in 24 hours. Most were dry and about 5 were wet.
I will be posting in the Garden Watchdog.
Hopefully they will perk-up and knock my socks off.
Sidney

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I only ordered coleus through the mail once - from Firmly Planted. Dr. Wu and Tilt a Whirl

I was thrilled when I unwrapped them as they were fresh looking and very well grown.

I put them under lights and took clippings for such time as I can set them out. ( We had frost/freeze warnings again last night)

Thumbnail by se_eds
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

That look great. Isn't Dr. Wu pretty?

Hap

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

The newbies are looking much happier.
I hope my Diptn Wine will look that great.
DR.Wu is great.

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

A new member of the family.
I can`t rember the name (must be an age thing..hmmm)

Thumbnail by georgiagarden3
Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

I GOOGLED the "Firmly Planted" website...loved the set up! I finally spotted the name of the one that I "rescued" from an open house, it's Coleus Hybrida Mocha Mint and it's one of Chris Baker's! I have to keep pinching it back it grows so fast it just overcomes the Flume it's planted with.

My gift Dr Wu has his own pot and is well on the way to making a spectacle of himself.....just beautiful!
Thanks again
Pati

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

georgiagarden3 - that is really a beautiful plant. Love the way the colors are developing on the new leaves.

Pati - your growing season must be spectacular. My Dr. Wu is still in his original pot, patiently waiting for our cold weather and frosts to go away. We are getting a very light sprinkle of rain this AM - first moisture in 2+ weeks.

We have been without any rain for 2+ weeks also...and the temps are climbing into the 90's and humidity so low we are under red flag fire warnings. The fires are now to the north of us. They have closed I-95 for a 20 mile stretchup around the Melbourne/Daytona Beach area because of heavy smoke.

Nothing as sad as tropical plants without their daily rain and 85% humidity. I water everything every morning and the Impatience twice a day.
Pati

The formula for H2O2 is 1/2 cup 3 % to 1 gallon water and also water from the bottom and yes Heather it does recover some over watered plants and prevents damping off.
I go through so much I haven't had to worry about wheather it's still working.
My test would be to swig it around in my mouth to see if it still does the moutwash bubbly thing. Then what's still in the bottle I would use for my plants. I actually wonder if 3% straight would hurt plants.
I saw camomile being sold at Dollar Tree, along with Osmacote like fert and Bone meal. Also Epsome salt and H2O.
Sidney

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Good morning everyone. Here it is 10:30 and I'm still playing on Dave's and mail. It's looks a little cloudy today, maybe some rain.

Pati, I don't think my yard has seen you the 2 light showers in 3 months. It's getting pretty burned up here where people are not watering. I lucky my water comes from our lake. Free fish emulsion.....hehehe

Five more min and I promise I will got out. Might as well take advantage of the clouds, for I am sure they won't last long. I don't think that there is any rain predicted for today, but what do they know.

Hap

Here's part of my yard today.

Thumbnail by Happy_1

Beautiful Nancy, Gotta love that lake.
Sidney

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Ok. I'm a newbie. I'm getting confused with keeping up with the different "threads," of a discussion. Like, how did we end up with this part II? Why? And, how do I keep up with the different conversations to find you guys?

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Benny, part 2 is because part 1 was getting too long for folks on dial up to load it...so, out of courtesy Sugar started #2. Isn't she sweet? That's why they call her Sugar!! :)

To keep up w/ these Coleus folk I've found out you've got to get up early!! Actually, I don't know! If someone starts a part 2 thread they always link it. Other than that just look around in the Coleus Forum...or the forums that your friends hang out in. Pop in to any thread that you want...you'll be welcome! Do you know how to get to the different forums from the home page of DG? I can send you a d-mail...do you know how to access your d-mails? I'll send you one and you'll see it above the updated threads on your home page a bit later after I send it.

Oh, y'all and your pics!! I'm drooling and trying to strangle the green monster of jealousy here!! Hap, you really do live in paradise, don't you? I know they say the grass is always greener...but what I'd do just to have your lawn!! Oh, man, I can't wait till dh retires...only another 25 years or so...then someplace much more tropical than zone 5.

"My test would be to swig it around in my mouth to see if it still does the moutwash bubbly thing"

Oh Sugar, I just love it when you go all high tech....LOL
Pati

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Dr. Wu?? There is a Dr. Wu Colues? OMgosh!! Dr. Wu is my dh's doctor!! ROTFL!!!

Guys, I'm not making this up.

It's spelled the same way too. This is way too hilarious.

Dr. Wu collects Orchids. I can't remember what else he collects. I'll have to pay attention next time I go there. My dr's office is in the same building, they share a waiting room. I've got to get a Dr. Wu Coleus to give to him...he'd LOVE it!!

I'm going to be laughing all day now. I'll have to reread the posts to figure out where that Dr. Wu came from. Our Dr. Wu came from China I think.

oH YOU GUYS! oK. I'll try to keep up.

P.S. I'm 49. My DH is 67 and he's RETIRED....

P.S.S. I'm a few hours from buying a new digital camera and I need your input. I have two choices: The HPM525v with 6 megapixels OR the Canon A610 with 5 megapixels. I saw the HP yesterday, and I'm checking out the Canon this evening. Will purchase today, so let me know. And yes, I know that more megapixels mean a clearer DVD and TV viewing picture and better blowups, but I'm interested in the closeups I'm going to POST of my flower garden! Come back soon, ya'll!

P.S. I could hardly read the menu bar on that HP. Either my eyes are getting worse, or it's a really SMALL camera!

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh, oh, oh!! A new digi cam!! Yippee! I'll go get dh right now and we'll look at them. He's my tech guy. I'm more into cams then he is usually, but we'll scope them out. Whoo-hoo, soooooo happy for you. I'll d-mail you what we find. But you get whatever one you want to get. It's your cam and you have to use it.

Can't wait to see your pics!!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Good Luck Ladies with those cams.. I have had my first for almost a year and I have had a ball. It is SOOOOOOOo different. Istant gratification.....that's for me.

How do you keep up.......check back on this theard 30-40 times a day. You'll get the hang of it....LOL

And, yes, this is paradise, at least in my mind and Pati's. Check out some colues. I love to taunt you northerners....hehehe

This one is Sidney.....named after sugarweed....Love 'em both.

Hap

Thumbnail by Happy_1
Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Y'all do now about the thread watch feature right? I couldn't live w/out that! I couldn't keep up w/out that. There's just no way!!

Sidney is gorgeous. How many plants is that anyway?

.....and, yes Hap, us 'Northerners' have noticed. LOL!

What're ya'll feeding those plants to make them grow so prolifically? And are they getting full sun? Mine are in pots and just starting out. I can wish and hope, though.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

In my yard, there is no deep shade, so I go from fun sun, to almost full sun. I can't even say light shade except for one little area.

They grow because we love them and we love them because they grow. Sugar on the other hand fertilizes regularly.....I do it sometimes. But that is why hers are better.

About the Sidney pic, Heather, I started out with about 8 little cuttings and then it went to this.

Pic ! and 2//////

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Opps, here are the pics....

Hap

Thumbnail by Happy_1
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thumbnail by Happy_1
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

OK Happy1 - they are just gorgeous. They look like bushes. And the colors are magnificant. MUST be the fish water LOL.

Everyone is playing show and tell. I picked up "Show and Tell" today but it is a little challenging to photo. The leaves are so detailed. The tag says GlassHouse - so I guess that is where it is from. I bet it will get better as it matures.

Thumbnail by se_eds
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I don't know what step we are on with the 1200 step program - but does it tell you something when you go out and buy one you gave away last fall? Just couldn't resist "Sedona". LOL

Thumbnail by se_eds
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Picked this one up to make cuttings - had a box of them and they all died. This is "Solar Eclipse" . Another one that is hard for me to get the beautiful colors on.

Thumbnail by se_eds
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

They are lookin' good....

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I like to photo them when I get them - then compare the mature plants. I already know what Sedona will do - you can cut it back to the stump and a week later you will have a beautiful brassy colored plant.

I have been so busy planting daylilies that I have not had time to photo some of the early ones I bought. But I am certainly enjoying this thread and hope to catch up in about a week or two. I can't even plant mine out yet. 75 degrees during the day and then they come along with a possible frost/freeze warning.

Hap and Patti - I've seen the news reports of your drought and fire hazards. Here's wishing all of you some 'gentle' rain.

Hasn't rained here for about 3 weeks. We have a 7.9 inch deficeit. Am watering my daylily seedlings every morning.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks Se_eds......

It sure is dry here. But I am on a lake and I can water any time for the cost of just running the pump. But all around here there are a lot of brown lawns.

Gentle rains would be good. Thank you.

Hap

benjamin,
Go for the canon! DH and I have Canon Powershot G2. It's a 4 mega pixel, with the capability of high resolution 8x10 photos.
Seriously, if you're more concerned with being able to post on the internet, even a 2 megapixel is more than enough. credit size photos are actually around 600 x4oo pixels-which will fit on an e-mail page just fine. I just hate to see you spending a lot more than you need to, for your prime reason for buying. The canon we have is pretty expensive- and way more camera than we need. My DH always wants the best, so that's the only reason we have it. Hope this helps a little. You go, girl!
Deanna

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I agree with Deanna. I have a Canon Powershot A510 and it has 3.2 pix...I have had it since last year and I still don't know how to use all the bells and whistles. Must read those directions some day...hehehe

It does way more than I ever will need. My main use is sending pics to DG and my kids. I used it for documentation for Wilma and worked out well. I liked to pick and chose what I want to print. It's really neat.

Hap

I BOUGHT THE CANON, AND I AM A MA-DIGITAL GIRL!

NEWSFLASH!!! NEWSFLASH!!! BENJAMIN2 IS CHANGING HER USERNAME!

My real name is LINDA.

My new username will be either GymGirl, Cheerio2, or Gym_Girl. I'll let you know which one they change me to.

I believe the change is necessary to reflect my TRUE personality, and to establish that Benjamin2 is actually a lady (albeit a physically fit lady...uh hum....)....

Stayed up last night playing with the camera! Well, reading the instruction booklet....Too late to shoot a picture, and have Bible study tonight. Will send as soon as possible.

LUV YA'LL

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Silly...

You have a flash on the sucker, ya know.....can take nitey-nitey pics.....

Good choice of names. Let us know so we don't lose you.....

I have to keep reminding myself at times that my name is the true me. But, alas, sometimes I get lost..

Hap

First off, let me say the Canon Powershot is my choice too. If it needs improving Canon emails you and a quick connection with the USB cable and it does it over the internet. Canon has always been about pictures, so that is a great way to go.
When I purchased my Lap top, (I travel and got a big Toshiba), I purchased a Canon i80 traveling printer. When I got the camera, it will go straight to the printer if needed. The only problem with mine is the operator, ME . LOL. It comes with Zoombrouser, which is a prettygood edit and enhancify program.
Also benjamin, it took me a month to find the forums and 2 months to learn how to navigate here at Dave's Garden.

Farmer's Almanac says; 10-11 Excellent time for planting corn, beans, peppers and other aboveground crops. Favorable time for sowing hay, fodder crops and grains. Plant flowers. I will be putting them in the ground today.

Happy your lake water is full of fertilizer, so I think that you fertilize more than I do.
I am somewhat stymied as to why mine aren't growing more. They have had plenty of water and nourishment.
I will Spray N grow soon. When it started raining 2 days ago (Less than .5 inch) I took my 2 jars of Osmacote like fert from the Dollar Tree and sprinkled them all over the garden.
Seeds, I too have that first picture as a 'Bonus' plant. In lew of Fishnet Stockings and Halloween Bonfire.
I think I will tell them to send those two owed plants to Pati and then go pick them up from her. She wants her Bonfire!
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Congrats Benny!! Now we can see all those chartruese (sp??) plants yer growing! You made a great choice and you're going to have a blast w/ your new cam!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.