MO DG RoundUp

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I'm making this post for those who are only members, not subscriber, and cannot 'see' the RoundUp forum. All members and their families from this region are welcome.

The RoundUp will be May 27th at Liberty Park in Sedalia, MO. Sedalia is at the junction of highways 50 & 65 in about the middle of Missouri. There will pot luck breakfast, pot luck lunch, plant swap/givaway, door prizes, and lots of fellowship. Bring cameras to capture the memories. We are hoping to see lots of DG folks there. For more info contact me personally or just watch this thread and post to it. If you have lots of some plant and are looking for new homes for it/them, this may be a good way to get rid of them and perhaps pick up something you have been wanting. Anyone who wishes to contribute to the door prizes is welcome to do so. The more people who do this the more we will have to give away. Just small items, like plant ornaments, small pkgs of plant food, hand lotions, insect repelent, sunscreen, etc. are great.

Hope to see lots of participation.

Sounds like a great idea and a lot of fun. I will check my calendar and see if we can make it. Thanks for putting this together.

Crystal

Clay Center, KS(Zone 5b)

I am so sorry we made plans early to visit Aggiesmom in Oklahoma that weekend and couldn't change all of their family plans to come this way. (Not sorry for the time with friends!) Perhaps next year. Looking forward to meeting all of our Central Midwest Gardeners either on line or in person. Thanks for the posts to the "who are we?". Seems we are developing a great cross section of the midwest.
Finally took the digital camera home and after 10 days of off again/on again rain no blooms worth posting.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I have to confess to being disappointed by the lack of interest. RoundUps are such wonders events to meet people, swap plants, eat too much, learn enough to earn a college degree, etc. With the hundreds of letters I sent out I thought at least a few dozen would show interest. I'm sure Starr fells the same way. Hopefully many are planning on coming but just not letting us know.

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

I realize you planned a whole month in advance, but maybe if you plan it even farther in advance, people won't have anything on their schedules yet?

Hubby and I were planning on taking a trip to St. Louis soon and when I saw your post, I was thinking we could take some side roads and stop by the RU for a while. But the month of May is crammed full of things to do already. Maybe the others are in the same predicament as I am?

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Probably so, but I didn't set the date. I actually found it by accident one morning and jumped in with both feet to help get it rolling. That was back in early April I think. I only check the list of new members about once a month so if you joined during that period it was last Sunday before I found you.

I do think we should try to set the date for the '07 one at the RoundUp so folks will have a whole year to plan for it. The one last year was scheduled the fall before.

This message was edited May 10, 2006 9:16 AM

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Hmmm...I didn't know how that worked. I've actually been a DGer for a while- I've just never checked out the RU forum. In fact, I found this forum by accident when I was looking for something else. But I didn't know the date was set for us- my mistake. Sorry.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Well, someone had to make a decision to get this ball rolling and thankfully sfstarr did for us. She just wanted to make sure we have a RoundUp this year. It is only the second one for MO. so we need to keep it going however we can until it become well established and a permanent day is set. We can all have a say in it if we do it at the RoundUp or even tell someone a date you prefer. I really don't know if there is a perfect time because there is so much to consider in setting a date.

I do hope you will be at the RoundUp. then speak up and help set next year's date. I really would like to see that being done year to year.

leaflady

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

LEAFLADY---- I think the main problem is it being memorial day weekend compounded by gas prices.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I agree about the date and gas prices. Both will affect many people. But getting a date that works for anywhere near everyone is going to be so hard to do. And we have no control over the gas prices. I thought about going to the E85 that our van will burn but the manuel says we'll likely get 1/3 less economy and power, have starting problems in really cold temps, the synthetic oil is something like $25 for the 5 quarts needed to do a change, and must be changed just as often as the regular oil. With gas prices inching their way back down I'm not at all sure it will save us anything at all in the long run. We would be more than glad to help break this dependence on imported oil but not if we can't afford the alternative. And I seriously doubt the farmers will benefit one bit from the use of grain based fuel.

Liberty, MO

Like others, it is a hard time of year to take off. My garden is on a tour June 9 & 10 and I just can't get away. It is a great idea though. Could even just make a day of it. Has anyone heard about the art glass at MO botanical garden in St. Louis. I saw a brochure and it looks fabulous. It makes me think of the long stretchy baloons but made of glass and interwoven with plants. Hope I get to see it. Bye

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Well i will be there Leaflady

Gardengal---- Our Garden is on tour the 17th. you mentioned Missouri Botanical Gardens. I grew up 3 blocks from there. Went back a couple of yrs ago for the first time in about 55 yrs. When I was a kid there was no charge for going in at that time the japanesse garden lake was a lot bigger and there was nothing in that area. We used to go in there and sneak back and fish in the lake. I have been thrown out of there so many times they would have had to worn out a pencil keeping track. Evedently all that sneaking had some effect on me. I was very surprised how much it has changed. St Louisians used to call it Shaws Garden. Even though I was going out the gate faster than I went in all that sneaking around and running through the garden to the front gate must have had some effect on me. I am mostly a Hosta collector (small time) but I can see Shaws Garden influance in my arrangements.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I have a question for everyone. What time do we want to meet for breakfast on Saturday morning? 7:30? 8ish? I'll get the eggs cracked and whipped Friday night after work so they will be ready to be scrambled at the park.

I plan to thaw the chicken on Wednesday night and cook it on Thursday so all I have to do on Friday is make a dessert in the morning, work noon to nine, and then come home. I'll have to clear out one whole shelf in the 'fridge to make room for the chicken after I get it cooked. I'll pack the van Friday morning and Saturday morning. I need to get busy and start potting up plants for the swap/givaway.

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

If nothing come up between now and the morning i'll be there about 9:30 or 10
Dave719

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.