Trilliums

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Oh how I love this time of year! I have several to bloom yet but these are the first. Erectum and grandiflorum.

Thumbnail by Galanthophile

Erectum

Grandiflorum

Cuneatum

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi Galanthophile -

Your exuberant posting is infectious! Wish I could match you, but I am new to shade gardening, and newer to digital photography! Thanks for sharing.

Do you have some pictures of your gardens from a little distance?

Peter

I'll go and take some now!

Thanks Peter. I love woodland plants so this corner of my garden is one of my favourites. I'm trying to make little woodland plantings mainly in my east border which only gets the sun first thing. I have a small garden, only about 30 feet square. I have several raised beds (desperately in need in painting!) and some alpine sinks. Thinking about getting rid off the lawn.... I cram in plants wherever I can. I inherited the mature camellias from my mother and they have been a wonderful reminder of her this spring - quite the best they have been although the flowers are fading now. What's your garden like? You say you are new to shade gardening - how come? Anyway this first one is the north border.

The north east corner where I grow most of my shade plants

The east border with bird feeders

The south border, I have alot of daphne's and tree peonies here

I replanted quite alot of this corner which is south east, this is where the Ellen Willmott epimedium is and my treasured Molly the Witch peony

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Thank you for sharing. What a loved garden. The "this is home" feeling is unmistakable!

I have had gardening in my bones for all 63 years. Aboaut 4 or 5 years ago, I started to do it. It has spread into all sides of our pie-shaped, 1 acre lot, caramming into existing woods where I keep trying to thin for shade.

I am only gradually realizing that there are more than hellebores, hostas and ferns. Right now, I have a trillium erectum and t. cuneatum I am breathing on, daily, trying to find the right place for them; and a mayapple; still another helleborus x hybridus; some tartarian asters that are supposed to do fine in shade; and a few more of the Firespike I rooted last year that i am hunting spaces for.

It's a cool, drizzly, English sort of day, and I am out to dig holes. . . . .

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Ann your garden looks just fantastic!

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Ann - I was looking back at your pictures of your garden. In the southeast garden, there is a narrow, golden, columnar conifer in the lower left. What is it? I am always on the lookoout for plants with gold, and evergreens in that shape, to tuck around for garden structure.

P.

Peter if you look at the picture of the east border you'll see that there are 3 golden yews or Taxus baccata fastigata Aureomarginata. I've had these about 7 years so they are quite slow growing.

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Did you trim them in to topiary, or do they have an irregular growth pattern. Very nice. Another one to put on my want list.

No this is their regular growth habit. I don't do anything to them.

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

I just started looking for the yew, and found this super picture of a mature one, in your part of the world:http: //www.plantpress.com/plant-encyclopedia/plantdb.php?plant=802 A quick look shows a lot of British sources and information on this plant. I will look some more . . .

Every reference I found was in the UK, with a couple elsewhere in Europe. Hmmm. . . . . .

p.s. - I don't know why that hyperlink didn't copy.

This message was edited May 7, 2006 5:42 PM

This message was edited May 7, 2006 5:44 PM

This message was edited May 9, 2006 10:01 PM

This message was edited May 9, 2006 10:03 PM

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

pd,
put a space in between the : and //,,,maybe that will do it.

Galan,
Lovely gardens. Everything looks so happy and healthy! I have a Trillium that looks like yours. I bought them about 7 years ago and they were supposed to be yellow flowers. I got my First bloom this year. It's red,,,don't care about the color,,,it's so pretty and I'm so glad it Finally bloomed.

Kelly

edited,,,,cause eye cant spel

This message was edited May 9, 2006 9:40 PM

Thumbnail by GardenGeek_WI
Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

I put in the space, no change; then deleted the period at the end. Oh, well. . . . . Trilliums are more fun than hyperlinks.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I should have been more specific. The : between world: and //.

http://www.plantpress.com/plant-encyclopedia/plantdb.php?plant=802

I agree Trilliums are more fun,,,LOL

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

Gorgeous! The trilliums and the garden shots, both. I haven't tried growing any intentionally, but we do have a lot of the native "bloody butcher" here in the woods along the edge of the property.

Thumbnail by sstateham

I would love to have these as "wild flowers"! They get special treatment in my garden!

A bunch of Bloody Butcher-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium
Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

GardenGeek -

I know this isn't a computer thread! but thanks for the tutelage. But how is it that the original URL that I copied worked on my Yahoo address bar and didn't come up as a hyperlink? I have never had one not appear before. And isn't it true that there shouldn't be a space anywhere in an address?

Peter

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Peter,

You are right, there shouldn't be a space in the URL when trying to link it on DG,,,,also, there should be a space in between your last letter or character and the URL addy. You had
world:http// there should have been a space between world: and the http. The world: part isn't part of the addy, that's why it didn't recognize it and it didn't work. Just a little thing, but enough that it wouldn't work.

When I want to link something I put 2 spaces before and after the addy link,,,,just to make sure it recognises it.

Kelly

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Got it, Kelly. Thanks.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

You're welcome,,,,I was hoping I wouldn't confuse you,,,I have a tendency to do that,,,,LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.