Bad Idea, Good Idea??

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

I purchased some dahlia bulbs from a local church bazaar for .50 ea. They looked pretty plump and firm, (a couple weeks ago), but it was awhile before I actually got them in the ground, (today). I put about a cup of water in the bottom of the hole, (because its been pretty dry here the last week or so. I know, can you BELEIVE IT!! DRY HERE!!), let it soak in, covered it with about 1/2" of dirt, put the bulb in and covered it over. Since I did not do the baggie thing, I am hoping the small amount of moisture will do the same thing in the ground that the baggie does.

I also put in one of those long bamboo skewers next to the bulb, (so I can find it easily if I need to dig them up), and so I dont step on the loose dirt. Someone said they thought loose soil made it easier for the flowers to come up. Makes sense to me, but then I am pretty simple minded, and will believe most anything.

Good Idea or Bad Idea. I await your ideas. Thanx.

Regards;
bluelytes

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Sounds perfect to me, right down to the stake. In digging/planting yesterday I found our soil is still quite damp so I found myself also scraping up nice hot sandy topsoil to 'line' the place where the tuber would sit. Trying to lessen the blow of being cast into a dark, damp pit for the next six months. LOL

More importantly Bluelytes, did you see eyes or sprouts on these tubers?

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

POOCH, About half, yes, the other half I made a SWAG!! hehehe. BTW, I might have next Sat free for a visit up thataway, or could meet halfway in Tacoma, ;) I am going to plant sale in about 1 1/2hrs where the plants will be 2 for 1 after 12:00pm. I hope I have enough ROOM!! :o

Regards;
bluelytes

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.