Squash and cuks in the GH?

Hudson, NH(Zone 5a)

Hi,
I'd like to grow some Summer Squash and Cuks in the GH, do they require hand pollination? If so, what would be the best method, paint brush? Just wondering if they are worth growing in the GH.
Thanks,
Dave

Fulton, MO

Standard cucs require bees and therefore aren't so good for the GH. European cucs do not require pollination and are preferred. SB

Hudson, NH(Zone 5a)

Thanks, SB. Now I'm thinking about taking off the polycarbonate the sides, leaving the end walls in, of my GH in June. It is a pressure treated wood frame covered in polycarbonate. I could cross brace the sidewalls and just leave it open for the summer. Then screw the panels back on in September. Now just wondering about the pros and cons of doing this.
Dave

Thumbnail by DaveNH
Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

You'll lose structural strength, even by cross-bracing. Does the GH not have any openings, other than the door that is shown? If cooling is the issue, it would be much better to add some opening vents, louvers, and fans.

Sorry if I've missed a detailed description of your GH. So many posts; so few numbers on a clock.

Hudson, NH(Zone 5a)

Hi Eggs,
The GH is post and beam buried below ground on footings with a knee wall, very ridged. I was worried about stressing the polycarbonate so I really beefed up the frame. Today it was low 80's here and the GH stayed around 93~95. So thinking take the sides off and not worry about temps. Then I could take advantage of more growing space during the summer. Here is a link to more pics.
Dave

http://www.myhudsonplace.com/greenhouse.html

This message was edited May 5, 2006 5:55 PM

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

10 degree difference, with no mechanical ventilation in view, I wouldn't think you'd have to worry too much about it being too hot, being in 5a. Were it me, my biggest concern would be the end walls catching wind like a sail. I just don't think a cross brace would be enough. I'd put in a thermostatically controlled fan, and perhaps a misting system. Just my $.02. Nice GH, btw. =)

Hudson, NH(Zone 5a)

Thanks Eggs :). I should have mentioned that I did add mechanical louvers, window fans and a thermostat control which may not be shown in the pics. I was figuring that mid-summer temps around here can hover in the 90's which would bring GH temp of 100+ with fans running. Not sure a misting system would work well since we can get high humidity along with high temps. I was hoping this would solve temp and any pollination issues :). My thoughts (have too many...lol.) were to have a full container garden going in there, then slap the panels back on and continue the garden into Nov. I was going to cycle in some fresh plants at the end of July so I 'd have plants at different stages of growth and spread out the harvesting. Sounds good on paper anyways...LOL.

Am I correct in assuming with fans and louvers a 10~15 degree higher inside temp is normal? Will veggies like tomatoes, squash, peppers and cuks produce well at those temps?
Dave

Walpole, NH(Zone 5a)

I'm going to try growing tomatoes and maybe some cukes and anything else I think of this coming winter in my greenhouse. I plan on starting the tomatoes around the end of June in 5 gal pails then bring them into greenhouse before first frost. I figure with the pails I can move them outside on a nice day. Oh, just finished getting glass and heat in my greenhouse this spring. I have been building it for last 5 years in my spare time. I've been with DG for a couple of weeks now (great place)

Hudson, NH(Zone 5a)

Hi bensen..welcome to DG. I'm new to this GH stuff, built mine over the winter. I wanted to try and not spend money heating it. I put in some black barrels and feel next year I can put out veggies April 1st with no heater. I watched the temps all winter and there was only 6~8 degree difference from outside, I couldn't imagine the cost to heat it. Then again the sun angle in the middle of winter is lousy in my yard, the sun drops below a tree line and sunlight is spotty from Nov to late Feb.

Do you have any pics of your GH?
Dave

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

You know Dave, if you put veggies in yr gh in April and you have a frost or freeze coming that you might be worried about the plants, you can always cover the plants at night with old blankets and cover that with the heavy weedblock-works great to keep the plant from suffering cold damage. You could also stick a elec heater out there for a night or so

Walpole, NH(Zone 5a)

Hey Dave. Nice to here from another NH Gardner. I have been building mine for 5 years in my spare time. I have a basement that is at ground level on the south end of my house with a three-flue chimney, an exit door and a garage door. The chimney has a massive concrete base on the eastern side of this southern wall. I used this as the back wall of my greenhouse. I dug 5 feet down and poured frost walls then 3 1/2-ft high concrete walls which are out of the ground a foot. (The floor of the greenhouse is at the top of the footing level so I have three steps growing down into it. I also built a little mudroom off my existing basement door where I can either exit out through mudroom door or take the steps down into the greenhouse. I used standard size window glass wherever I could and only put glass into the first 1/3 of the roof. The reason I took so long to build is I did the excavating with a hand shovel, mixed the concrete myself and did the carpentry too. (Only way I could afford it) I have a wood stove in my basement using one of the flues so I get the heat into the greenhouse that radiates out of the chimney plus I installed a small fan in the basement wall going into one end of greenhouse and another at the other end of greenhouse going back into basement. I plan on installing an exhaust fan later this spring to use during warm weather.

Walpole, NH(Zone 5a)

PS: thought I had some pictures ? I'll have to get some more and post

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

DaveNH...

Do some research on misting systems for cooling greenhouses, as well as evaporative cooling. With a misting system and proper airflow, you should be able to keep the GH within about 4 degrees of the outside temp. The humidity shouldn't be a problem, as the fans will remove most of the humidity along with the heat.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.