Montana Wild flowers

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

We have an acre and a half with the spring wild flowers blooming. These are some as they come up. Anyone who can ID these please let me know the names. Thank you.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

First one. Shooting Stars. We have white, lavendar, orange and yellow

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Second one. I forget the name but they sell it in all the nurseries.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Third I like this one, a unique flower.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Lots of these loners.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

So pretty! So it's officially spring in Montana? LOL

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

#2 might be cat's ears, calochortus.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

#5 One of our bigger blooms.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Native Serviceberry in bloom.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Nice vistas Soferdig. No. 5 looks like a poppy with it's furry stem and dainty papery bloom.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Thank you all for the names. I hope to collect all of the flowers this year and get a name on everyone. #7. This is my sensitive plant cause it attracts all my bad bugs that arrive in my garden so I can have it destroy this one and saves all my others. Many tent worms and aphids start here.

Thumbnail by Soferdig

#5 looks like Anemone drummondii (or some other wild anemone). A. drummondii has a bluish reverse and grows to about 12".

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I have lots of lupines coming up this year after all the rain we have received. I haven't seen any other wildflowers yet - everything seems slow to get going this year. The serviceberry are beautiful. They look so pretty against the bright green of the larches right now.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Hello Linda from Troy! Glad to see another Montanan in DG. We don't have enough moisture as you lucky ones in Troy to have lots of native lupines. But we have many wild ones as you will see. #8 a tamarak coming into leaf. I think these are beautiful!

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Back to wild flowers. #9 These delicate yellow babies are quite wonderful in their unique flower.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Wild flower #10 Soon to have fresh tiny strawberries. About end of May they are quite yummy.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

wild flower #11. I think this is an allium. I have many colors. This one is pumpkin.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

#12 is our Rocky Mountain Maple. Acer Glabrum Not a flower but a beautiful native.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

#13 Tiny daisy like flowers. Very profuse and wide spread.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

#14 Chartreuse and delicate.

Thumbnail by Soferdig

#13 might be some type of Silene. Is the plant in any way kind of sticky?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

#13 looks like it could be a woodland star, lithophragma parviflora. II am still trying to learn all their names. Just wish we had more wildflowers showing at this time. It has been a little cold this spring. We had two mornings last week that were 25 degrees. Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, I think yuo are right on #13. The leafless stalk is what threw me on this one. Silene has a few linear leaves up the stalk. I haven't come across lithphragma (yet).

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Pard the stem is sticky with the hair but not adhesive. Linda We suffered also and I had annuals out but I covered them with my usual plastic and mulched over them, all is fine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.