My cheap greenhouse

Cobleskill, NY(Zone 5a)

Alot of people ask how to build a cheap greenhouse, so I thought I would share what i did. My original idea was from pic's of those portable ones in the magazines, with a metal pole frame.
I had a family dining canopy from Wal-Mart.I set it up in my basement and ordered plastic from a shipping and package company. I measured and cut the plastic to size and used packing tape to piece it together.
The problem was the frame was not very rugged. My second day outside it blew across the yard.
We set it up AGAIN and started building a new frame inside the existing greenhouse. It did not cost anything because the wood was left over from our deck.
the whole thing cost less than $100. I have pic's in my journal http://davesgarden.com/gj/Meghan/viewentry/8046.html
This message was edited Tuesday, Jul 17th 4:29 PM

This message was edited Tuesday, Jul 17th 4:30 PM

Hi Meghan
Cheap cheerful and effective, always a good deal, looks good, i have one question for you tho, is wind a problem in your area ?, it would be a shame to have your hard work spoilt, it does seem to be exsposed a bit, but none the less its a good little green house, i hope it brings you a lot of joy.

Cobleskill, NY(Zone 5a)

We have had wind that blew over my patio table, but the greenhouse survived. The problem was with wind getting INSIDE and lifting it. We solved that by pounding 4x4's into the ground in each corner and securing the greenhouse that way. I love it!! It is small, but I got 15 free windows the other day and I am going to expand off my shed. So I will have yet ANOTHER greenhouse!

The never ending story lol, always want one bigger, and why not.

Saucier, MS(Zone 8b)

Hi,

My Greenhouse (12X6) is made somewhat like yours. We went to a chain link fence company & bought damage pipe used for the top of chain link fence. Dirt cheap!!! We made our bracket for the top & corners. We then concreted in the ground & ordered greenhouse plastic with UV protection( 5 year waranty).

This is our 5th year & we will recover this fall, has held up
though Hurricaine, hale & wind storms. Can't wait to enlarge it!!
Honeybee

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

My husband build me a pvc greenhouse last fall. I loved it. If you look around you can find used windows and doors in the garbage, or at thrift stores instead of buying them new. DH purchased the door new, and it still cost us less than $100. PVC pipe, a few elbows, and a few T's and a few 2 x 4's, and some glue!!
Here are free plans
http://www.jps.net/circo/greenhouse.htm

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

fivekulps.....what size does this become...i printed out the the plans but i dont see as to what size this is...thanks

cindy

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Cindy it looks like it's maybe 6'x 9'? (Judging from the length of the PVC pieces, that's what I'd guess it is, give or take a few inches for the fittings.) I can't tell the height for sure, although it's 58" at the sidewalls (and taller as it goes toward the center....)
Thanks for sharing the plans, Fivekulps!

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

IF YOU WANT TO GET USE OUT OF YOUR GREENHOUSE IN THE WINTER. DO WHAT WE HAVE DONE, ZONE 5, SO WINTER GETS COLD AND SNOWY. BUT.........YOU STILL WANT TO USE THE NEW SPA?
WHAT TO DO.........PUT THE GREENHOUSE OVER THE SPA, IN OUR CASE FASTEN TO THE SURROUNDING DECK WITH SCREWS.
WE HAVE 8X10 PVC GREENHOUSE AND IT FITS GREAT . THE SPA KEEPS THE GREENHOUSE ABOUT 50 TO 60 DEGREES AND MY TOMATOES DO FINE. ANY QUESTIONS ??????

ANNABELLE15

I think the link to Circo's site has changed. Here's an updated link: http://www.snapclamp.com/greenhouse.htm

East Prairie, MO(Zone 7a)

Wow loved the plan for the green house. I have been wanting one for a long time and this one sounds really inexpensive to build. Maybe I will just start buying materials up a little at a time and then build it. LOL I have this stuff that looks like screening but wind cant go through it and never will rain. You can see out of it but cant see through it. I wonder is that would work for the cover. Dont know what it is called. Maybe will go to a nursery and ask if it would work. I have quite a bit of it and know it would cover this greenhouse. Sami

Sami, I dont' mean to be a wet blanket, but you might check out the threads I've started on this forum. It is a chronicle of my trials and tribulations (read: whining) while I try to follow these plans. They do provide a good starting point, but if you can build it "to spec" for $100, I wanna know how you did it. I'll be posting the modifications we're making in order to build it (some of the supplies are just about impossible to find, no matter what you're willing to spend on them.)

I'll also start a thread or two of suppliers and prices of stuff because it is like finding a needle in a haystack to locate some of this stuff. I figure if I can make it easier on those who follow, it'll be worth it.

East Prairie, MO(Zone 7a)

Thanks go_vols I finally decided today to put this material I have like screening on my 12 by 20 back porch. It keeps the rain and cold out. I already had it so I can just play on the cold days on the back porch. I already had screen up but it was regular screening. I put 32 potted plants out there last night and working hard to get the other screen up. Got one side done today. LOL that was the short side. LOL. Should get easier as it goes along. Maybe one day can still my dream green house. Sami

New York City, NY

Quote from Meghan :
Alot of people ask how to build a cheap greenhouse, so I thought I would share what i did. My original idea was from pic's of those portable ones in the magazines, with a metal pole frame.
I had a family dining canopy from Wal-Mart.I set it up in my basement and ordered plastic from a shipping and package company. I measured and cut the plastic to size and used packing tape to piece it together.
The problem was the frame was not very rugged. My second day outside it blew across the yard.
We set it up AGAIN and started building a new frame inside the existing greenhouse. It did not cost anything because the wood was left over from our deck.
the whole thing cost less than $100. I have pic's in my journal http://davesgarden.com/gj/Meghan/viewentry/8046.html
This message was edited Tuesday, Jul 17th 4:29 PM

This message was edited Tuesday, Jul 17th 4:30 PM

Hello Friend, thank you for inviting me to this forum. I am now an official member ^_^ see u around!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.