Advice please!

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have a question for you experts! What do you do when you have a clump within a clump that doesn't belong there? I have a few that got mixed in with a certain clump and need to identify the one that doesn't belong there...i.e....Space Viking is a blue but in the same clump there is a white one with blue edging...do I dig that one up now or how do I mark it so I know it doesn't belong there when I start digging in July? I have a few people that have told me that what they wanted is not what they got and now I'm worried. How does this happen, I've tried to be so careful....Help please!

Hooks, TX

Weegy12,
You could just use a black marking pen and put a small 'x' or something down on the plant close to the rhizome.

I had a clump that hadn't bloomed for me after 3 or 4 years. Bought it in a bag of 2 from big store. The other one bloomed true to name 'Chickasaw'. This one is a beautiful bright ruffly pink with an orange beard and looks like 'Beverly Sills' to me, or maybe 'Dreamsickle' I saw on another post. It's a keeper, but not what I bought!

Louise

p.s.- remember the burgundy oxalis from a 2005 post????
I still have lots of it if you would like to grow it in CA.
Thanks for being the first one to welcome me to DG. I love this place. It is an important part of my every day.

This message was edited May 4, 2006 10:13 PM

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Awwwww, Louise, my bud! I am so sorry that I haven't gotten back to you. I would love the oxalis, I have pink ones that do really well here for me. How would you like an unmarked iris that is planted with Space Viking!!?!?!?!
You don't think I could dig that intruder out of Space Viking?
This is really a shame because I don't like disappointing people. There's a list of about 8 from one person that got mismarked irises and that's not good. Putting an x near the rhizome might work but I'm worried about the leaves turning brown and me not seeing it. Thanks for the help.
Let's call me...CallyLou!
Louise

Hooks, TX

weegy12,
The Space Age iris I have is 'Thornbird'. I'll post it's picture here. I have 16 new ones that haven't bloomed for me yet from Oakes and from HearthstoneLegacyIris.
That's to add to the 8 or 10 I've had for a while. Sure,
I'd love to have another iris. I'll start searching for a place to put it !!! LOL
I'll get the oxalis in the mail soon. I started about 2 dozen 4" pots of it to have something to trade and have sent it to several DGers. They said they really like it. It's one of my favorite plants I grow - so dependable, eeasy to grow and quite spectactular looking with the vivid burgundy, almost black and with lavender blooms. It is the first thing to wake up in the spring and hangs on even after the frosts begin.

Louise

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Louise, if you mark the fan or fans that you know to belong to the intruder iris with some sort of marking low on a central leaf, it should still be visible when you dig the clump later. Just don't mark high on a leaf, and don't mark an outer leaf.

When you dig, take the entire clump including both Space Viking and the intruder, trying very hard to dig it all as one cohesive mass without allowing any of the rhizomes to split apart. Once you have the whole thing out of the ground, use a hose to wash away all of the dirt from around the rhizomes and roots. That'll be the best way to see which rhizomes are attached to which so that you can separate the intruder from Space Viking successfully.

Good luck!

Laurie

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Thanks Laurie, that makes sense. I'll mark it and do that when I dig the entire clump up, intruder, good name for it although it is very pretty. Will probably post here looking for ID for it.
Louise, I will be sure and save the intruder for you!
Thanks for the input and great advice! I always know I can count on you guys!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

This is Honey Scoop. It is the only one that I have with horns. I have seen Thornbird and love it.

You might use the thin plastic landscape tape to tie around the fan and then use a sharpie to mark the name. Lots of daylily folks use it.

Thumbnail by bluegrassmom
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Great ideas, thank you! Great picture bgm!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.