Astilbe 'Visions' Info

Timnath, CO(Zone 5b)

I have never grown astilbe before but I did order some this year. I got them in early April...huge bareroot clumps. I put them in the ground but have not seen any growth yet. Should I be seeing anything yet? It's been about a month since I planted them.

Any info appreciated, as I am totally new to these.

Thanks.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Meig,
You are not seeing any leaves?
How soon after you received the plants did you get them planted?
I would think that you should be seeing quite a bit of growth on them at this point. We are similiar in zones. All of my Astible are up now.

Timnath, CO(Zone 5b)

Nope, nothing. I put them in the day after I got them. :/ I'm going to go dig around under the mulch and see if I see any growth.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Hummm,
They certainly should be showing growth by now. Maybe you should take with the place that you ordered them from.

Timnath, CO(Zone 5b)

There's some growth so at least I know they are growing, but slowly.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Well, they just might be 'tramatized' from shipping. KEEP THEM WATERED! Astilbel like moist the more sun the more water.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

did yours come from sam's club?? if so i bought some too; and just threw them all out....they grew...but were UGLY...i feel like such a sinner by trashing them....but they were so ugly and the sun torched them where i had intended for them to grow....

(Zone 4a)

Did you soak them for a few hours before you planted them?

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Hmm..I guess I should go see if my astilbe came back.. They didn't look too happy last year and I decided if they didn't make it I would just let them go. I don't have time to pamper plants :(

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

They are not real picky, and should return. But they do get nicer year by year, particularly in a shade garden where the plants have to be survivalists! Even the common ones can put on a good show, as mine do. (If I could do the digital photo show, I would show you our astilbe, with the flower spikes in various stages of pre-bloom.

Peter

Thornton, IL

Meig - I heard something recently on a gardening segment for the Chicago area: Don't mulch the bed until the new growth appears, and fills in some, than weed and mulch heavily (1-2 inches). It's so cool here that the plants need the sun to warm the soil, in order to grow. I do know from having three astilbe, they're beautiful little plants, but they prefer light to dark shade and moist, organic soils. What color is Visions, how big are they supposed to be? I have Veronica Klose (love the name!) it's a dwarf pink chinese one.

Timnath, CO(Zone 5b)

PrairieGirl,

Thank you for that info! I had them in a bed that my husband had put down like 6 inches of mulch on...oy! I removed about 4 inches and that was the issue. They have started to grow now and how :)

Thanks to everyone for your replies :)

Meig

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

So glad to hear they are going to be fine.

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Yay astilbe!

Your husband is so zealous. Give him something (else) to do besides mulch!

Peter

Northern, VA(Zone 7a)

How about sending him here to lay some mulch down for us? : )

Timnath, CO(Zone 5b)

Julie :)

I actually checked all my beds and he had so over-mulched that I was able to get THREE new beds out of the extra on the original beds. And he wondered why we needed so much mulch last year!

*grin*

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Welp.. No astilbe for me. But that's ok.. the bed I put them in is heavy dry shade so it wasn't the best fit. My yard has heavy dry shade, dry sun, moist sun.. but even the moist isn't year round.. just the spring

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.