Rose of Sharon in Maine

Atlanta, GA

Anybody have experience with growing althea in Maine (midcoast). I brought some volunteers from my Atlanta garden, wondering about chances of success.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

I tried twice a couple of years ago but neither lived thru the winter in central ME. But they were rather young shrubs, one from a trade I think and the second from Renys.

A mature plant might have a better chance, but I don't know enough about it, But unlikely to try a 3rd time.

Perhaps in a real sheltered spot??

Marie

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

gbk,
I live in South China, Maine about 30 minutes from Belfast. I have a Rose of Sharon that has survived 2 winters here and looks like it will bloom again this summer. I bought it at Home Depot in the summer of 2004 and was told by the lady who sold it to me to mulch it really well and it should survive. I took her advice and put approx. 3-5" of much around the bush.
There is a lady down the road who has one that is white w/dark eye. her "bush" is about 6-8 feet high and 4' wide. It is beautiful when in bloom!!!!
The picture was taken last summer as mine started to bloom. Hope this helps and good luck!
Celeste

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

they'll do real well. I have 2 smallish trees in my front yard - southern exposure. they are late to bloom - like late May or early June.

When I lived in virginia, they were almost like a weed - very invasive and hard to control, we must have had 50+ in our yard and they're real tough to get rid of! Haven't seen that happening up here in NY, so maybe they're easier to control up here.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I have received several Rose of Sharon varieties that were listed as hardy, but they are actually only good to zone 7 or so. I think it is just part of the common names. We treat these as annuals, & they will blossom if the seeds are started early indoors. There are others that are truly hardy - I have the white with the maroon centers, hardy to zone 3. They also come in deep pinks, pastels, etc. I have seedlings if you would like some.
Julie

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I lost 'Bluebird' over this past winter. Haven't yet ripped it out: hope springs eternal.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Is Bluebird considered hardy? My Rose of Sharons are just beginning to show budding - perhaps it is still alive!

Thank you, JRush. I'll go out and look right now.

Hurrah! It's just coming alive - little bits of green up and down the stem. So glad I didn't rip it out. THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I'm 1 for 2 with my rose of sharon but I've seen people overrun with them in my Town.

Isn't it almost amusing that some people have too many and others wish for them?

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

I've tried to grow them before but they did not survive the winter here. :(

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Snowhermit - I have loads of 1 year old seedlings, if you would like to give them a try! I just tossed the seeds in my back yard, & they grew too close together. They are stunting because they are so closely planted. You are welcome to them -

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

Julie you have D-mail.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.