Four o'clock Tubers

Douglas, MA(Zone 5b)

Help...got 24 four o'clock tubers to plant in the mail today from Cottage Farms. Planting instructions say " mound soil bottom of hole place roots on top of soil and crown of tuber should be 1 1/2 - 2" from top of soil...some of these tubers are 2-3 inches long. That's a pretty deep hole.....do the roots come out from the sides or what? Have always grown these from seeds, but supposedly, with the tubers should have blooming plants in July.

Any words of wisdom or advice most appreciated. Thanks, Pam

Pearl River, LA

since no one has replied to your help call ....I will tell you my experience with four o'clocks.....just put them in....they will come back year after year after year.......just put them where you for sure want them...they will grow to a nice three foot size and attract lots of humming birds and butterflies.....I would stick them like carrots grow with two inches of soil on top...hope this helps....I live in the deep south so maybe its not the same in Ma. Maybe someone else will reply also....shirleyt

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

My tubers did not survive the Winter, but I did dig up a couple to see how they would fare in storage for the cold season. I just planted the tubers, so it may take a while bewfore I know what happens. But the plants grew so big & bushy from seed last year, that I don't think I am losing very much if I just grow them from seed each year. Perhaps the plant will be much larger from the tuber, than from seed? I would be interested in knowing how big your plant gets - you could end up with a monster sized Four O'Clock!
Julie

Pearl River, LA

I just checked on my four o'clocks at this time.....I have four and they are all at least 18 inches tall now and are filling out nicely. I remember them in moms yard when I was a child and they were to the top of a five foot pickett fence...I wish I had pics but I don't.shirleyt

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I dug some 4 o'clock tubers last fall, stuck them in an empty pot, put them in the shade with my other collection of "one of these days I'll get it planted" stuff. This spring I found them, dug a hole and stuck them in. They're blooming now!
They did take a few weeks to put out sprouts, but they sure took off once they came up.
One tuber I accidentally chopped in two, so I planted both halves. They both grew.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I think the tubers survive in climates with milder winters. When I lived in Connecticut as a kid we had to plant 4 o'clock seed every spring. When I moved here to NC I planted seed one time about 6 yrs ago and have one plant that formed a tuber and comes back every year...even though I don't want it to:) It shows up some time in late June pushing up through the cannas and eventually tops out at 4 feet tall covered in deep pink flowers.

I remember the first time I saw a catalog selling 4 o'clock tubers I laughed because they've always been so easy to grow for me almost like a weed. Now I realize in areas with shorter summers, you have to start with more developed plants to get the end result.
I hope you get some gorgeous plants from yours!

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

I planted tubers and seeds in separate pots, both versions are doing quite well, but the tubers plants are already about a foot high, no blooms yet, but it is still early up here. I mixed the 4 o'clock seeds with morning glory seeds and I have little healthy babies right now that are growing real fast. I am interested to see what colors I get since it wasn't specified.

Good luck with the your tubers Pammy!

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I really thought my tubers looked dried up & dead. Perhaps I am wrong - you folks seem to be having great luck with your tubers! Perhaps they will grow in spite of their appearance after all :)

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I've never grown fouro o' clocks before,but I just planted the seed today,now you scare me ,that i might have them too shallow.Would some one be kind enough to tell me how much dirt they need over the seed.mine are just schratched in. Mike

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Mike,
As long as the seeds are covered they should be fine.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Mike,
I will usually give them a toss then push them down just below the surface so they wont wash away. They are really no fuss.
JRush,
Id give them a try the worst that can happen is they don't grow but then they don't grow if not planted so you have nothing to loose!! :)

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I have my fingers crossed - I was amazed at how large & lush this plant became, from such a small seed - & I planted late in the season as well. I did not have scented blossoms though - but they were beautiful!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I planted from seed and meant to dig the tubers to hold overwinter. I had ordered Ruby Glow. I did have some reseed the next year. The tubers are supposed to give you a headstart on blooming. Nice thing about gardening, there's always another year to try things.

Mike, my package says they need light to grow. You might want to try it both ways.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Here's some of my 4 o'clock foliage. I have more coming up this year than I ever have in the past- yipeee!!! I have always wondered why mine weren't better re-seeders, as I know they *can* be invasive. Last fall/winter, I took the seeds and literally pressed them into the soil. I think they all germinated from the looks of things- lol!

Just a few more weeks and I'll be able to devour that heavenly aroma every evening! I can almost smell them now.....

Thumbnail by berrygirl
Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

They look very lush & healthy - & should be loaded witrh blossoms this year :)
Watch for Hummingbirds - they love these flowers.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

I know were talking tubers here but if anyone wants seed I have lots and more each day!
Caren

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

jrush,
I've had those growing there for about 4- 5 yrs now. To my knowledge I have never seen any hummers on them :( I will be more vigilant in watching this year. Since they open late- not at 4:00- maybe the hummers have already went to bed- lol!

This message was edited May 23, 2006 12:11 PM

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

They usually visit the Bee Balm, Cannas, Fuschia & Petunias, but they stop back several times a day. I caught the Hummingbird a few times last year, at the Four O'CLocks, as I turned the corner to my garden. This year I planted the Four O'Clocks closer to the house - so I can watch them!

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

I love Four O'Clocks. They are the only thing that will grow in a very hot spot (near brick, south facing) I have near my house. They never dissappoint.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Thats where I have these. Oh my do they smell good!! Most of these came from tubers from last year Im sure some are from seed too.

Thumbnail by Heavinscent
Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

My tubers are a no show - I expected them to be up by now. They did look very dry & shriveled - perhaps I should have stroed them in damp sand for the Winter?

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I love the pretty little flowers but where I'm at, Sugar Land, TX, they are invasive! It's like growing bamboo. The tubers sprout all over the place. And they grow up to 5'. Caterpillars do seem to like them so I keep a few in the ground.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.