Clover Invasion

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

How can you rid your flower bed of clover? I feel like I'm pulling it up all the time.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

If it is the red clover it is hard to get rid of...I spray with roundup (a concentrated soution).

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

What does red clover look like? I didn't know there was different types of clover.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

small reddish leaves with yellow flowers..and it runs by rooting. Harder to get rid of than the green.

Chesapeake Beach, MD

That's not clover -- it's oxalis corniculata or possibly oxalis stricta. Either way, a very pesky weed which is difficult to eradicate.

Walkerton, VA(Zone 7a)

Or it could be this
http://www.turf.uiuc.edu/weed_web/descriptions/blackmedic.htm

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes...MaryMD is correct. I was thinking of something else...but the advice is still the same. the all green (which I believe is stricta) can be pulled up easily but the corniculata is much more difficult.

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the info. I have the green clover and if it gets big enough it even blooms purple flowers. The roots of it form what looks like a small "bulb" for lack of a better term. Really a pain.

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 6a)

You know clover fixes nitrogen into the soil and is used for a cover crop....

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Most people consider clover a weed but oh if I could only grow it where my dogs run- anything would be better than dirt. I usually leave mine alone in my grass as it also stays green when water restrictions are in place here. However, I do pull it from my flower beds.

Peoria, IL

There are alot of people who use dutch white clover (not the red one) as an alternative lawn. Its frequently mixed with fescue and makes a very nice drought and shade tolerant lawn cover. It will grow in places where kbg won't (like a dog traffic area..)

Prior to broadleaf herbicides, clover was considered a key ingredient to a quality lawn mixture. But when people started applying broadleaf herbicides to lawns, it killed the clover and then somehow clover became a weed.

The best solution for the yard with patches of clover is to overseed the entire lawn with the clover to blend it in for a more uniform appearance. The clover looks better when spread evenly in the turf rather than in clumps.

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks everyone for the info.

Patty

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.