Peonies and red ants

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Thought I'd post this "here" as well...help please!
Please tell me those little buggers are trying to eat my blooms? I've never noticed them on any other plant!! I was out misting the plant leaves and buds with a "bloom booster" mixture when I noticed red ants all over my Peony. This is the Peony I threatened last year with dumpster duty if it didn't "do" something the next spring/summer...LOL Last year was year #2 since planting it...lots of leaves but only two blooms....grrrr!!! This year? What to my wandering eyes should appear...TWENTY-ONE buds at last count!!!! Yip-peee!! But these red ants?!!!!!!! Thoughts anyone?

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

The ants visit your peonies because the flower buds secrete a sweet substance that the ants like to eat. The ants are not harmful to your peonies. The ants don't eat the actual plant and contrary to popular belief, the ants are not required to open the buds.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Calalily,
Whew...glad to hear that! Yes, I'd been told a few times that the ants helped the "hatching" process...LOL. As long as they're NOT eating my blooms to be - I'm a happy camper!!! Thank you!!
Chantell

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I'd always heard that too, but I guess studies have been done on it. It is important to rinse the ants off if you're going to make cut flowers or they will get all in your house!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ah....the first bud almost opened all the way....

Thumbnail by Chantell
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Wow, beautiful and large!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I know...can't believe how big they are..with all this rain they've been weighed down :(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.