essay

Plymouth, MI

my mom said that if i write a persausiveessay on the benefits of raising chickens i will be able to get some for myself. i have to get a good grade though.

can you guys give some of those persauding facts?

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Hunterboy, you've got a wise mom. I really recommend you get Storey's "Guide to Raising Chickens" by Demerow. There's a "Young Person's Guide" to the same, by the same author. Then you'll have really excellent information to start out with.

But of course, eggs for eating are a very good argument. For this you'll need good laying breeds and standard size chickens.

Plymouth, MI

sounds good, i was going to get RIR's, buff orps, black and red stars and a few other breeds.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

the poo is the BEST benefit!!! would be great for your mom's garden if she has one. if not, you could compost it and share it with neighbors!

less bugs is a good one too!

they are fun, and by watching them you can learn a lot about people!

if you get a breed that is not popular, like on an endangerd or ciritical list, you are helping to preserve the breed, and you get a good feeling about that!

you can also show them in 4-H which teaches you lots of responsibility, husbandry and record keeping.

and you can learn how to make money raising and selling birds.

there, that oughtta get you started!

tf

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Oh Hunterboy, there just isnt anything like the rewards of chicken raising, very few animals give back as much as "chicks" do. Your heart number one is just going to explode with happiness every time one of them "recognizes " you as their best friend and guardian.
Tamara has it all right , there are just too many avantages and very few disadvantages!
Eufaula

Plymouth, MI

well thanks guys that ought'a cover it

Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

Hello hunterboy, sounds like you are a bright young man, your essay should be very convincing with all the good responses above.

Another good point might be that chickens are fairly inexpensive animals to raise. The last time I bought feed it was about $6.00 for a 40 lb. bag of scratch. That is a whole lot cheaper than buying 40 lbs. of good dog food.

Around here you can buy good breed chickens for less than $10 each. I have buff orpingtons, and I think they are an excellent breed to start off with. They lay big brown eggs, they are really good looking birds, they have nice personalities, and the ones I have are really good mothers to the baby chicks.

Good luck,
Cindy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.