5 gal. pails

Walpole, NH(Zone 5a)

Hi all, I'm new to Dave's (two days) First what a great bunch of people. I have a some questions about using 5 gal. Pails as containers as I have access to as many pails as I need and would like to make some self-watering containers. I did some measuring and with one pail stacked inside another there is 4 inches of free space at the bottom. The upper one has a plastic rib that sits against the rim of the lower one so there is no danger of it going any lower. I had thought of drilling a bunch of small holes in bottom of upper container and two larger holes, one for a fill tube and another for a wick of some kind. The covers that come with the containers snap on and off with ease and there is a small spout hole offset to one side that I could run my fill tube through. I thought that I could drill my overflow hole so water level was about 3 inches deep in bottom pail. I guess my main question is what could I use for a wick and has anyone else had any luck or ideas using pails. Thanks

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Hi! There was a post on here somewhere and it was suggested to use a type of super absorbant cloth. It's almost chamois like and its used on some of the newer fabric loop mop heads or those super absorbant synthetic cloths sold for drying off your car. Hope that isn't as clear as mud:LOL: I think I've seen the cloth at WMart (I work at one) with the car cleaning supplies. It may be sold in a plastic tube type container. Hope that helps= )

Walpole, NH(Zone 5a)

Yes that helps, gives a direction to start looking in. I'm planning on starting some Tomatoes and other plants during early summer and bring them into my greenhouse so I can have fresh veggies this comming winter. Thanks again for the reply

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

That sounds like a great idea! I could probably use this idea here too. I love having fresh tomatoes but am an apartment dweller. I am lucky enough to have a full sun patio in the townhome I'm in so the 5 gal bucket thing sounds like a doable option. Summer/Indian summers around here can drag out until late Oct/early Nov. so I am fortunate enough to have a long growing season. Still wouldn't mind a greenhouse ;)
Glad to have something to offer, let me know how it works out!
Donna

Walpole, NH(Zone 5a)

Yes I will, last winter I had plastic over window openings and no heat. This spring during my vacation I finished putting in glass and have heat. I've always wanted to pick a fresh tomato in the middle of January instead of eating one of those cardboard ones from the store.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Amen= )

Gurnee, IL(Zone 5a)

Bensen, I use door felt, weatherstrip (3/16" x 5/8" x 17') for about $1.50. It is cheap, wicks well, and readily available. LOL on your projects.
Bernie

Walpole, NH(Zone 5a)

Thanks Bernie, I can pick that up at the local hardware store.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.