Broccoli - Straight up?

Strafford, NH(Zone 5a)

I bought some broccoli seedlings last year and had great success with them. I did notice, however, that the adult plants grew sideways before the grew upwards. Is that normal?

I bought some seed this year and they popped right up, but I wonder if they got too leggy because the seedlings are behaving the same way - growing sideways before growing up. Is that normal too? I'm wondering if the seedlings got too leggy or something.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Not sure what you. I f the plants are leaning to the side, Usually means that they are seeking sunlight. I f you mean they grow bigger in girth before height, that is normal. Spindly is also a light problem.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Strafford, NH(Zone 5a)

Here is a picture of the seedlings - the stems seem so skinny and weak. They are trying to grow 'up' but it seems the stems can't support them so they grow to the side first. Any suggestions? I'm wondering if I should be planting new ones.

Thumbnail by MomDaLoon
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Not enough light and too much heat. They should be ok, just not pretty as you harden them off. One of the reasons I always start broccoli in coldframes. Makes a short stout plant.

Strafford, NH(Zone 5a)

Thanks! I'll keep 'em then and next year be more careful about where I start the seedlings. I'm having a lot of fun learning!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.