Thumbnail by Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Elsa Spath

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

Very pretty, Shirley!!
Janet

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Shirley..they are both so beautiful...I just got Elsa Spath..would you like to elaborate on your opinion of this clematis?..fast growers?..Heavy bloomer?..How long have you had her?..Thanks for sharing...Jeanne

Thanks Janet!

Jeanne: Elsa Spath is a "tried & true" Clematis. Mine is now in its 2nd year. It's a moderate grower, but has more flower buds this year. Since Elsa Spath came from Walmart, it is doing pretty well for the "creep year". Next year, hopefully she will really take off! I find her difficult to photograph because sometimes she has more blue in her and some days more mauve or pinkish tones.

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I planted Elsa tonight!

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

The Elsa Spath sure is a beauty I love the color..I see yours are all starting to bloom I'm still waiting for mine to..

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I think that "she has mauves,blue or pink casts on different days" was the exact reason I was drawn to her..I bought my 2 at Walmart too!!..What a great price and you should have seen how large they are...I dug around till I found the best ones and of course with a bloom to make sure I had what they said they are...I learned that one from last year..LOL..thanks for the input Shirley...makes me feel better that I chose her for my gardens...Hugzzz....Jeanne

I've been looking for a true blue one with no luck...I have some that might just be her but will have to see once she blooms...
Shirley is there a good way of transplanting a tangled mess I have??The colors clash and I don't like the looks once they are in bloom..!!I have no idea what ones they are but they do bloom all summer..TIA...

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Very Pretty Shirley!!!!
Debbie

Thanks again everyone.

Loretta: Transplanting a tangled mess is very difficult. I would cut the vines back as much as you need to. Have your new hole dug. Dig up as much of your old root ball as possible and plant it in the newly dug hole. Don't forget to add a handful of bone meal to encourage more root growth. Add a few polymer crystals to help with moisture control. Use lots of manure, good soil and top dress with mulch. Water well and continue so that the plant will get established before the heat of the Summer.

Are you looking for light or dark blues? Single, semi or doubles? Spring, Summer or Fall bloomers? Small or large flowers? I would look them up on C.O.T.W. for the best reference. By the way, if you search under the word "blue", you will get 752 choices! http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/index.html Happy planning!

Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

Shirley they are bothe beautiful. What would we all do without Clematis?
Gary

Thanks Shirley... I transplanted my tangled mess and put them in a nice spot so I can enjoy them now...I left the center one in tho,but still had to cut it down..Thanks Again...

Thanks Gary!

Loretta: I hope you will enjoy your transplanted Clematis in their new location.

I used Messenger on them and next week will do the Mighty Plant..I love that stuff sure is a good product..Have you used yours yet??

Yes, I already used both and now it's time to spray again. I'm trying to spray about every 3 weeks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.