Canna Questions

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

Maybe this is a silly question but here goes,
Ive been seeing cannas since joining DG but can only find bulbs on line. Ive usually only planted grown plants that I buy and never tried bulbs or seeds.

I was happy to find this forum so now maybe I can try some

As they are supposed to be planted in Spring (?) and taken up in Winter to store what happens in the Tropics, Zone 11b

Can I plant bulbs at any time ?
Will they just keep growing or will they die back during our very slight winter 54 degree low?
Can I buy them as small plants anywhere or just as bulbs.?
I also have some Canna Indica seeds some one gave me does a seed grow a plant that then makes a bulb. How do I go about planting them and can I do it in the summer.

Thanks for any help
Neil

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Neil,
Because you life in Florida, you're in prime real-estate for cannas. Although you CAN buy plants if you can find them, you really don't have to. The bulbs are really root sections, and start growing as soon as you put them in soil. Because they grown quickly, both above ground and under ground, you will have plenty to divide next year or share/trade with others for different colors.
I have them both in the ground, as well as in pots. Usually I start them in a pot, and as soon as the leaves start to come up, I put them in the ground. It's really not neccessary though, I only do it so I can see where I planted them.
Seeds are a bit trickier. You must scar the hard shell down until you see white, then plant them ( I soak them 24 hours first) Usually, in a week or 2, you have little sprouts. To me, seeds aren't worth the time and trouble, when you can get a whole 5 inch root that will grow multiple leaf stalks.

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

Thanks Mary
one other thing, will they die back in winter here or will they just continue to multiply and grow.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

If I get a frost (I'm in Orlando) they will lose some of their foliage, but not all....and then resprout a week or 2 later. I would imagine you stay warmer year round than we do....but the good news is, even if you lose your foliage for a week, you never have to dig them out of the ground, except to divide them, because yes, they will continue to grow and get larger. U.nless you decide to to relocate or divide, you can leave them alone without ever touching them.

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

Oh, the internet makes it too easy to spend my $$$$ , just got two 2 Giant Stuttgart Canna Bulbs at Ebay for 9.95, we will see how they do. Love the variegation on them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.