incubators

Plymouth, MI

does anyone know how to transform an aqaurium into an incubator? and will a halogen bulb keep a constant temperature?

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

interesting... did you google it???

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Oh wouldnt that be cool, I mean warm! Then you could see every thing!

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

why would you want to use an aquarium?
I don't think the glass holds the temperature well....
not enough insulation
Maybe as a hatcher...for the last 3 days.......

Plymouth, MI

maybe crestedchick, it was just an idea!

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Where's PeggieK? Didn't she pull this off?

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Here I am, been working the past few days so I've not been home much.

Hey, I think an aquarium might work if you could possibly insulate the back side and both ends with the sheets of styrofoam insulation against the glass. Maybe you could leave the front glass exposed so you could see in. If you have one, no harm in giving it a try. Might work, might not, never know.

DH tells me I try all kinds of goofy stuff just to *see* if it will work. He asked me one day, "Aren't you afraid of failure in any area ?" I just told him,
"Naw, I failed before, it wasn't a big deal, probably will again before I'm finished with this life, what's to loose?" "Might win, never know." hehe

If you have the stuff, give it a shot. Only thing I'd be a little concerned about would be a halogen light. They have been known to ignite fires and since you would be running it non-stop and without supervision a lot of time, It coulod be a possible hazard. Just be careful with your choices of heat sources.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Oh yeah, I forgot........there has to be plenty of air flow and ventilation because the eggs actually do breathe. With aquarium, probably have to make it thru the top somehow. Since heat rises, vents in top might let your heat escape. Possibly you could drill holes thru sides of aquarium with a ceramic drill bit though, it will drill glass.

Plymouth, MI

would a space heater do the trick for heat and circulation?

Graham, NC(Zone 8a)

Hunter,

Why not use a styrofoam cooler? Check this out:

http://www.cyberquail.com/incubators.html

You could use the aquarium for your brooder tho.

Eric

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I read somewhere about someone who made one out of an old refridgerator....

Plymouth, MI

thats a neat bator, ill try making it. thaanks!

Graham, NC(Zone 8a)

You're quite welcome Hunter

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.