Cocoa Lined Planters

Bluefield, VA

I am getting ready to plant a wire container that has a cocoa liner. Just wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions for using this type of planter.

Santa Barbara, CA(Zone 10b)

I find they work very well. I usually put one of those hydro-mat things in to help retain water. The only problem I have is the blue jays love to pick out the fibers for their nests. They'll pick out so much that water won't stay in the basket. I may have solved this by hanging out a piece of a liner on a hook. I did see one bluejay on it yesterday.

Jooolz

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

I put in a piece of plastic as a liner to help retain moisture. It is on the inside before you put in the potting mix so it is not visible.

Thumbnail by kanita
Bluefield, VA

Thanks for both suggestions. I knew I could count on the folks on this topic to help me out here.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Also,
You can just remove the hangers if your plant came in a different hanging basket, and sit the whole thing inside the cocoa planter. Voila! No need to replant it!

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I use them too and they work very well until the Spring and Fall.At that time ALL the birds and squirrels think that the linnings are just the best material for nest building.I say let them have it,just leave my bulbs and fruit alone!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.