Maiden Blooms 2006

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

This thread will be for those irises that are blooming for the first time in my garden this year. I know some of them may have been in your gardens for years, but humor me. I'm proud of these newest members.

Clear Creek SDB. Yes, it's shaded but it is that blue. The others without my shadow washed out in the full sun. :s I promise to learn about white balance this year.

Thumbnail by Elizabethtown
Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Rare Edition IB. This is a cutie.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Skookumchuck a TB. Again, I think it's a white balance issue. This one took 3 years to grow. I told the plant if it didn't bloom this year, it was history. Speaking of history, I just learned this year that Skook is named after a river.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Sparks Fly SDB This one is breathtaking. I think it's my favorite new SDB this year, it just keeps bloomin'

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Club Tatoo IB. Waited two years for this puppy to settle down and now it's taken off like crazy, blooms everywhere.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Appleblossom Pink IB. This ones is very brilliant for me. Is that common?

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Lovely iris, I don't have any of these. I really like the white/purple bitones.
Teresa in KY

Do you have very many of the reblooming iris? I am planning a trip to Ms. Wilkerson's in Scottsville,KY She is the hybrider of Bridge In Time and others.

This message was edited May 3, 2006 6:46 AM

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Last one for now.

Millenium Falcon

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Teresa, then you'd love the IB Star Woman.

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Have you found Millenium Falcon to be a "better" iris that Starship Enterprise ?

MY SE bloom was beautiful but the plant eventually rotted out and I dont plan to replace it >

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

I can't say, I've had this one two full seasons and just put out many, many healthy (knock on wood) stalks. Never noticed problem with rot, but it was a very young plant when I received it.

As for SE, mine is no where ready to bloom (it's just green). We'll see, I hope it's worth it here.

Roni

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Charlotteda
Feel happy,
my SE never bloomed just rotted
And that was my second try
Also decided not to try again
:)
Anita

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Nice pictures, Roni. I especially like the one of 'Club Tatoo'. I have that one and enjoy it very much.

It's funny how different irises do well/poorly in different climates. Starship Enterprise does great for me here. It's Millennium Falcon that's always rotting. This will be my 3rd (and last!) attempt at it.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Bottled Sunshine IB This one is very cheery on drizzly mornings.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

This is bluer than photo'd but loved the way this pic shows off the rings deeping into infinity. Hence the name, Infinity Rings IB

This message was edited May 3, 2006 2:04 PM

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Orageux IB

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

I think this one is Ruby Slippers IB. Somehow it's tagged twice, one says Ruby Slippers the other say Dragon Flight. The plant next to it has no tag and no bloom so will have to find out for sure next season. That is unless someone's got Dragon Flight and can post a pic for me.

Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

Sparks Fly is incredible, as that last one,too. I ordered Orageaux, I hope it does as well for me.

Sandy

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

That's Ruby Slippers. Dragon Flight is a TB plicata.

Laurie

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Roni-

You're tempting me......

Neil

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Lovely, lovely, lovely. It's good we share since we can't grow them all - although sometimes it's so hard to choose..........

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Thanks Laurie, I figured someone would know for sure.

Neil, will all your orders that's too funny. So here's a few more

October Splendor BB

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Cat's Hat IB

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Frontier Marshall TB

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Infernal Fire TB Broken Color. I like this one better than my Hotdogs and Mustard which will come next.

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Is Frontier Marshall really that "brown"? It is beautiful.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

That's how it photographed for me on two different days in two different lighting situations. To the naked eye it appears red with hints of brown. I've pictures scraped from the web that appear altered to look redder than originally captured.

I think it's gorgeous. It's another that I've been threatening for several seasons to dispose of it if it didn't bloom this year! Lol.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

This one is one that I nursed back from near death. It had lost itself several times to rot. It had only a sliver of green leaf to get it started back when the AIS Convention was in DC. I believe it was a new intro at the time. I only paid less than $5 for it. I just had to save it, even though it's price is way down, it was important to me that this one live.

Here's Original Art's maiden bloom opened this morning.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Infernal Fire is a dandy. How many dahlias for that one??
Thanks for sharing these lovely flowers. Marsha

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

OK, I just noticed that my posting of Hotdogs and Mustard didn't make it. So I'll try it again, although the distance may make it difficult to compare it with Infernal Fire.

Marsha -- a little piece of Bracken Ballerina & a replacement Blackberry Ripple if ya still have some. ;-)

This message was edited May 3, 2006 11:27 PM

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Great iris and beautiful pictures !

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Thanks Tazzy. I've learned how to use the camera to glam up the irises and now I can't stand just a so so one. There are mornings I'm out there practically on my head and the neighbor man is laughing his head off over his morning coffee. Some day I'll have me a place out in the country...

Here's Queen's Velvet Cape (thanks Neil for the trade!).

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Your Queen's Velvet Cape looks better than mine did this year. Must have given you the better piece .........lol. Almost makes up for the Ziggy that I sent you that doesn't like to show any broken color, doesn't it?????

Neil

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Remember Neil, I only know how to take the glamour shot. (not.lol)

Although, she is beautiful in the garden. I guess I'll post just one new one now, then back to the dahlias.

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I am sure Frontier Marshall would do nicely in my climate. So if you ever want to get rid of it, throw it in a box and sent it my way! (I am not too proud to beg). Brown or red it is very pretty.

I also think that Original Art was worth all the trouble it put you through.

Great pictures!

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Because Neil referenced Ziggy without color break, here he is.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Ok, here's only a few. I have to get to bed or the skating party will kill me tomorrow...

Cherokee Nation

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Lip Service another one of those toughies from the convention year AIS sale.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

I think this is Spinning Wheel. Somehow it got in my Western themed bed. I can't think of any thing else it would be.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

This one is not a maiden bloom but it just looks so yummy. Pumpkin Cheesecake

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.