re-arranging

Greenfield, IN(Zone 5b)

Now that my garden is in full (almost) bloom, I've noticed I need to move a few (lot) things. Can this be done in the heat of July or am I better off waiting until fall? I don't want 1/2 of my perennials going into shock; but I also don't want the ones that aren't as tall as I thought they would be hidden. Julie

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Julie,

I would wait until September to give the root systems a greater growth period and to help insure the success of transplants
In the Farmer's Almanac it says to only
transplant in Months that have a "R" in them. ie...never in May, June, July, or August.

Jerrie

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

I'm in zone 5 and I don't think that a day goes by that i do not move one plant or more. i never seem to have what i want, where i want it. As of today, i have not lost one plant. I always do the transplanting in the early evening, and i transplant the plant in a good amount of soil so as t to move the roots as little as possible. sometimes this requires deep digging. I always water well, and continue to do so for 2 days or so and have had no problems( knock on wood)
Jerrie is correct, however, not only the farmer's Almanac, but anything you read about gardening will tell you not to move plants now
Sandy

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

I'm with sandy, I move things around all the time. You do need to water them more than usual for a couple of days but I have not had a problem. My husband is always laughing at me because I can never leave things alone and let them grow where I planted them. I have a yard sign that says "BLOOM WHERE YOU ARE PLANTED" I think that says it all. sue

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm guilty as well. I just don't have the patience to wait until fall!

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Okay, I'm outnumbered, but in this Texas heat, I don't move anything, self included, unless I have to....hee hee

luv u all
Jerrie

Greenfield, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks everyone! The humidity is up so high now I can't stand the thought of digging! I will wait for a cooler day (but probably not September). Last week I planted some transplants that were out of the ground for a couple hours (travel time) they are in terrible shock. I keep watering them twice a day but so far they look sad. (Almost all of the dirt was off the roots). Maybe next time I'll take her a bag of top soil so she can leave the dirt on the roots.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I successfully move plants all the time.... but I have a secret for all plantings: put a few drops of "Bach Flower Rescue Remedy" (available at health food stores) in a gallon of water and use that for a couple of days instead of regular water. Helps the plants from shock!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

If you can wait until it is supposed to rain for a good day or more, you should have great success. It takes a lot of energy and water to move things right now, but it is do-able. But if you move them when Mother Nature will help, it is even better!
'Another plant mover'. LOL
Michele

Trenton, MI

Rain? What is that?? Haven't seen a decent rainfall in a month, at least! I have been forcing myself to wait on moving plants because it has been so hot and dry...and I am usually one who moves plants whenever the urge strikes.

I too have moved plants when you are not supposed to. I try to do in early in the morning, and on a cloudy day. Lots of water too. Julie, isn't Greenfield where the tree grows out of the courthouse? I was born and raised in Indiana and we used to drive through there going to my grandmothers. Good Luck, vic

Greenfield, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi vic, Greenfield is just northeast of Indy. I think Greensburg is the place with the tree in the courthouse.

Pondnut, we have had short bursts of rain but 2" in an hour doesn't work as well as a steady rain.

Darius, would GNC carry the Bach Flower Rescue?

Trenton, MI

dignbloom-
It sure helps to know others gardeners are suffering along with me! Every day the weather people predict rain, but always only a 30% chance...never enough. Now we are on water restrictions, can only water on even dates at our house. This is very frustrating, since I am only two blocks away from the Detroit River! If the weather would cool down, at least to the low 80's, I would move some things around. I began a new garden two summers ago and this year REALLY need to rearrange plants that went into it last year (didn't know how tall some would grow). It is driving me crazy when I look at it, knowing it would be fatal to make changes now, but am desperate to do so!

I am new to gardening and moved two extremely large hebe bushes, about 4 weeks ago, when we actually had some sun (in England) and didn't realise I had to water them for a couple of days, and they started to die off, I was so upset, so I checked on the net (didn't know about Daves Garden then!) and cut them back and gave them lots of tomato food and WATER, and new little shoots are coming through....I am so relieved, cos they looked beautiful when they flowered. But I wish you could send some of that sunshine this way - it practically rains all the time here!!!!!!!

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Here comes some Georgia sunshine your way. Send me some rain please. Jim

This message was edited Friday, Jul 20th 8:52 PM

Jim - if only I could ....... Sam

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.