wall of water ?

Crozet, VA

Hi folks -- In a new post someone mentioned wall-o-water. What is that? I want to learn everything that I can. Thanks for any replies.

Ruby

Highland, MD(Zone 7a)

Wall o water or water wallies (they have a bunch of names) are clear heavy plastic liners with cells in them that you can put around your early veggies to protect them from cold temps. What you do is fill the cells with water then during the day the water heats up, at night the heat is released around the plants keeping them insulated. I used them one year for my tomato plants and they worked fantastically!

Angie

Crozet, VA

Oh, thank you so much Angie.
I was wondering. Sounds very interesting. I am very late with tomatoes this year, so I won't be needing anything like that to help. Hopefully in a couple of weeks it will be warm to stay.

Again, thank you for explaining.

Ruby

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Have been using Wall O Water for a few years now. Even Started Cucumber seeds early in the garden with them.
Plant your plants/ seeds and turn a 5 gal bucket upside down over the plant/ seeds. Slip the Wall O Water over the bucket and start filling the cells with water. When all cells are full remove the bucket.

When it gets warm where the plant no longer needs protection, squeeze out some of the water so you can remove the WoW easily. And store for the next season.

Crozet, VA

Hi Lady - Where does a person buy the WoW? This is sounding more interesting all the time. Thank you.

Ruby

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Hi Ruby

I ordered mine from www.gardeners.com (Gardeners Suppy) I have order a lot of gardening items from them and have never been disappointed.

Lady

Prince Frederick, MD

I was the one talking about making my own WoW from plastic zip lock bags (gallon size). Cheap alternative but not nearly as sturdy. Good for short-term use. Just fill, seal carefully, and sit as many as needed around the plant. Used them for tomatoes and peppers a few years ago and they worked just fine. You may have to replace individual bags if you use more than a week or so.

Crozet, VA

Hi Sciurus - Thank you for telling me how to make my own. I will consider this next year as I begin to plant.

Prince Frederick, MD

More n' welcome, rubyw.

sciurus

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

My WOW
Two inch seedling were put out the first of March in my Zone 4B here; they have also been treated with Messenger every three weeks. I have never watered them recently and it is very dry here.

Thumbnail by TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

This one ~ the WOW developed a leak in April and it seems to be doing well and catching up; but that has only occured in the last 4 weeks.

Thumbnail by TwinLakesChef

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.