Just received my Gurney order Asparagus

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Okay I'm not in the best health and don't have the energy to dig 18" holes...I tilled an area up,can I just plant them about 2-4" inder the soil line...I sure hope someone says yes...I had a coupon for $25 off of $25,so all I paid was the shipping...;-) I love Asparagus

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Jody, asparagus plantings are a long term investment. Done properly and kept free of weeds, a bed can flourish for many years. You probably received a planting instruction sheet - is there anyone in your neighborhood who could take on this task for you? Maybe even hire a teenager? It wuld be a shame not to get maximm benefit from your special purchase. Yuska

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I have a large clump of volunteer aspargus. I was eating some of it when I opened this thread. This one flourishes very healthily. Actually it gets 70 % shade and was not dug out or anything....too shady for pesky grass and such.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

We planted our crowns 6-8'" in a trench and filled in as they grew - about 3 weeks. Keep the weeds out and don't pick any for a couple of years...patience. Plant them and add soil on top as they send up stalks.
-Kim

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks Kim and Indy...these are two year old crowns...do I still have to wait two years to pick any?

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

I wouldn't think so but use your judgement - no picking this year and don't over pick next year.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Generally the first couple of years pick nothing thinner than a pencil, is the advice I got. I planted a week and a half ago. One spear is now a foot tall, but all the crowns are producing spears uniformly. I need to fill in those trenches.

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Okay thanks for the no smaller than a pencil info...:-)
I can hardy wait until next year...I can eat asparagus raw...I just love the stuff...:-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.