Viburnum burjaeticum

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

I can't find the thread that mentioned V. burjaeticum and whether or not it was fragrant, so I will start this thread. Well, based on my nose and that of my 10 year old son, IT IS! Nothing powerful or overwhelming, but a light pleasant fragrance you get when you stick your nose in it. It doesn't hold a candle to the V. carlesii types, but it certainly does have a nice fragrance to it.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Ask and ye shall receive:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/594039/

And here's an earlier one:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/568765/

I guess it's time to reopen the roster for the VACUUM, and add your son to it at the apprentice level.

BTW, I concur with the rating, though it doesn't enter my top ten.

hmmm, this is the year of the viburnum and conifer for me. maybe i need a v. burjaeticum.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

I figure I don't need anything I can't pronounce . . .
unless it's an oak.

Guy S.

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh Gramps! Don't say that......if I had to pronounce the names, the latin names, I would have nothing. Dirt, I'd have dirt...unless there's really a latin name for that too.

Terry

P.S. Kevin, is this weekend a good time for me to pick up that sweet smelling viburnum who's name escapes me right now? Named after the guys wife. I remember that.

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Terry--not a chance! That's a one of a kind plant. It gets to grow up here and live out a long life amongst its brethren.

Eau Claire, WI

Kevin, thanks for the follow-up on the Manchurian candidate. It still think I should try one (or more) of the "highly" fragrant Viburnums. I'm thread bare on Viburnum knowledge, but I'm guessing that my best options up here would be Korean, Judd or Burkwood. Which one would you recommend that would have the best combination of fragrance and cold hardiness? Actually, I thought I had purchased a Korean Spice about five years ago. Once I realized the flowers had no fragrance, I posted a pic on another forum and it was identified by someone as V. plicatum, probably var. Tomentosum(?). This plant is still hanging around and really not winning any favors with me. Maybe I should post a pic of it over here to get a definitive ID. Who knows, maybe I've already got V. burjaeticum.

But Kevin *sniff sniff* I really liked that plant and she liked me, a woman just knows these things....please? I'll give you visitation rights. Plllleeeeeaaaaaassseee.....I need to find my hankie.....

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Maack--Actually, my very favorite fragrant Viburnum was discovered right there in Milwaukee at Johnson's Nursery--'Spiced Bouquet' is a great one, and becoming more available. Please do post the pic of the other.

Terry--life is so disappointing sometimes. :)

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Kevin, don't fall for her siren calls. Next thing you know, she'll lose all respect for you and start calling you Gramps!

Guy S.

say terry, the latin word for dirt is terra. if i can pronounce it you can pronounce it.

say kevin, i bought a rainforest 318 clone machine. allegedly great for softwood cuttings. i am not going to be in a position to play with it right now let alone get it out of the box. it was delivered and is still sitting exactly where they dropped it. would you like me to have it driven to your house so you can play with it? you could try cloning some of your plants to share with all your groupies.

say q-tip, the dwarf hackberry is bouncing back from the freeze. now i guess it is time for you to pull a rodney dangerfield.

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the offer Equil, but for now I will continue to take cuttings and ship them off to those who know what they are doing(that's the Classic Viburnum folks). Maybe some future years, but still too much work to do here. I can handle seeds, but cuttings will have to wait.

Gramps!! That a word of endearment!

Kevin, you like to share, I like to get....don't disappoint me, my poor heart just can't take it.
And now that Lauren has told me dirt isn't really dirt, I have nothing, but a big black hole. Is that what you want Kevin? I'm surrounded by nothing. Oh where'd I put my hankie??

Thornton, IL

terry - you are named for dirt, glorius, bountiful earth goddess. Terra, terry, see?

Now quit calling Starshine Gramps, it's not nice!

hey where is q-tip? he's unusually quiet.

PG, I beg to differ. My gramps was the most wonderful man who ever walked this earth. He was kind, he was loving, he was honest, he was my hero and I miss him dearly. So, calling Guy Gramps, is in no way mean.

I also knew I was a goddess, it's about time others realized it! :o)

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Dirt and Evilibrium, whatever happened to my suggestion to call me "Mr. Wonderful" anyway? I thought that was a GREAT idea! Party Girl's "Starshine" seems pretty good too. Between hearing "Gramps" and "Q-Tip" every day I'm starting to feel too old to fight back. I'm fading . . .

Your suggestion was duly noted and promptly rejected.

Yes, i know how it feels. being as how i've been being fondly referred to Evilibrium lately... i sort of viewed the little q-tip term of endearment as insanely benign.

Say, if you get to be called Mr. Wonderful can i be called Mrs. magnificent? I feel it's only fair. Hey, that sounds like a road show! Mr wonderful and mrs magnificent. actually "dirt and evilibrium" would probably attract more attention these days. Terry, let's hit the road!

Now see? My gramps would never call me dirt! I'm taking it away. You're aren't my gramps...you are now so named.....grumps.

Eq, shouldn't we be Ms Sexy and Ms Goddess? Me being Ms Goddess of course. We could make millions I tell you, millions! Of what I'm not sure, but it will be millions!

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Hey Kevin and ViburnumValley!! I have nothing to add about grampas or the particular Viburnam you all were discussing. I just missed all the nice talk and information about Vibururnums you used to post on that OTHER forum so I came over here.

Rita!! Hi! Did I mention DG when I emailed you from the other forum? I hope so. Anyway, glad to see you here!

Terry

I dunno, i'm sort of liking the sound of dirt and evilibrium, has a nice ring to it.

Hey terry, good job going over to that Garden Web and bringing more people over here.

hello and and a hearty welcome to you newyorkrita. glad you could stop in and join us.

But it sounds so dirty (no pun intended), as in the black stuff that gets under your fingernails when you garden?

i guess it's all how you view things. i've come to love that dirt under my nails and i view it as a sign of wholesomeness. on the other hand, evilibrium sort of sounds as if i'm going to boink someone on the head just for giggles and grins.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Hey Rita! Welcome! Glad you decided to come over from The Dark Side. You'll like this place a lot more once you get the feel of it. Many of the old GW folks are here now, and there were many fine DG people to begin with.

Do you ever hear from Saccharum over there anymore? Can you bring him with you? Any of the other old regulars still haunting there? Most of us don't go there anymore since they started having all the problems under new management.

Guy S.

Eq, it's not that I mind the dirt...well o.k. yea I do. I need to paint my nails so they don't look so bad.

Grumps, I did a search and Saccharum is still there. Is K-Man the user name? I searched for that and came up empty.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

I don't know who you're talking to (!) but he might have gone by "kman" without the hyphen. Both of them were very knowledgeable and helpful posters.

Hey, find any of the old timers who are left over there, and bring back some of the newer GW talent too!

Mr. Wonderful

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Hello Rita! Welcome to DG. How is that little fruit factory you call a yard doing?

Ha Ha! I actually like that other forum very much, in spite of the fact that I don't lke the ads. But I just ignore them. I hang around on many of the rose forums over there. All the other furums there that used to be so good, like shrubs and wildlife have really, really slowed down to nothing. Fruit and Orchards is still going pretty good there.

I didn't get much in the way of trees or fruit this spring, just a Sugar Tyme crab apple, A Danube cherry, twelve more blueberry shrubs I planted, two more gooseberries and red currants, and a Stark Bros Nectarine. So it can go with my Tomcot Apricot, Northstar and Surefire Cherries, Illinios Everbearing Mulberry (yum on those berries), my raspberries, blueberries, Blackberries and so forth.

My summer project is to have the last of the green Japanese Barberry taken out, and continue my yard improvements, all started in 2001. Last year and this year I got into roses and have planted them all over the place. Don't worry, nothing I had already planted got yanked to plant roses.

Terryr- I forgot, I don't think you did tell me they moved over here but I already knew it.

Yea right, who am I talking to grumps?? :o) There is a kman04 who last posted on Aug 6, 05. Actually it tells me there are only 2 posts by him, one being on one of yours. I've spent the afternoon emailing people today over at GW. Let's now see if I don't get baned for inviting them all over here! If anybody else has a list they want me to email from by going to their page over there, just send me a d-mail.

Ms Goddess

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

OK Dirt, if you can lure Kman04 and Saccharum over here I guess you get to be Ms. Goddess for a few days!

Rita, I don't go back there to The Dark Side anymore because last time I checked I got loaded up with spyware from them. Too bad they ruined it -- there were a ton of good people there a couple of years ago. More and more of them are finding us here though.

Guy S.

Well, I am not about to quit going there.

Why would you have to quit going to GardenWeb? I think there are quite a few people who have dual citizenship at a few forums. I am a member of the ListServe and a member here. Come to think of it, I recently registered at the UBC Botanical Garden Forums however that forum isn't personal or lively enough for me I couldn't find one person over there who shared my interests in North American native carnivorous plants. I like the ListServe and love Dave's Garden for different reasons. I rarely if ever post at the ListServe mainly because it gets a little volatile and heated all too frequently but that doesn't mean I don't thoroughly enjoy reading all the posts generated from the ListServe. I really think the forums to which one belongs is as unique as the individual. I also think that just one might not satiate one's need to learn and grow. Being a member of more than one forum adds to the spice of life.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Yeah, I would still be checking into GW too if I could do so without it messing up my computer and without waiting forever for those unrelated animated ads to load up and get out of the way. Rita, nobody is trying to stop anyone from going there if they can tolerate all that, and if they have a fast enough connection to cope with it, and if they know how to disable the floaters, spyware, and other intrusions. I finally just gave up on it and found a better home here.

Guy S.

Guy, when we come down, I'll sit at your computer and show you how to block all the ads and spyware. Even though mine are all blocked and java script on, I still get the tracking cookies. Once a week, I run both my spyware programs and get rid of them all...then next week, they're all back. Nothing is vicious though. Not that I've found anyway. I also have spyware blaster that runs all the time. I notified Saccharum, but haven't heard anything. I just re searched kman04, and this time, it came up with 18 posts, all back in 05. Nothing this year. I sent him a message telling him you would like for him to join you here. From now until eternity.....I should be Ms Goddess for doing it for you!

Terry

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Well, Goddess, now everyone knows you're coming here and you're gonna get lotsa nosey questions about our clandestine relationship! Party Girl is gonna be so jealous, and Evil probably will be sending Voodoo cyber-daggers at my Albizia!

Thanks for the computer offer, but let's not waste daylight doing computer stuff that day. I can live just fine on a steady diet of DG, with no GW-spyware and no GW-floaters and no reason to have to use blockers. Maybe some other time I can pick your brain some about your blaster, etc.

Oh, remind me to direct you to that bur oak I sent Vacuous Velodrome and Decrepit to see, on your way back home!

. . . and I STILL can't pronounce "burjuricaeticoutulum" . . .

Guy S.

Shhh, Terry... he'll never suspect anything. Just take the mini bombs and attach them to his Ailanthus and his Albizia and then casually walk away as if nothing is amiss and view his other specimens that are truly lovely. When your visit is over and you are leaving and about half way down the driveway, press the handy dandy little detonator I packed for you and ka boomie. Bye bye Ailanthus and Albizia. He will never suspect anything.

Hey Lauren, notice how he's calling me goddess? I am sooo good. I have everything you gave me in my bag. I think I can divert his attention away long enough to plant your mini bombs. I attached a clip onto the detonator so it looks like a garage door opener, and attached it to my visor. He'll never know. Keep your fingers crossed!

Guy, I think you're wrong! Eq would never want to harm your albizia! And I know PG won't be jealous. We'll just let her think we're merely friends. No need to go into our hot and steamy love affair. Shhhhh....

Ms Goddess

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Uh-uh, no Ailanthus here. They are invasive in this area (I guess they are invasive in ALL areas) while Albizia is pretty benign here, albeit a terrible weed a little farther south.

Remind me never to invite the two of you mad bombers to come here at the same time, unsupervised . . . unleash the dogs of war! And wait until DirtyR finds out I'm only 29 and she can't call me gramps anymore! Hee-hee-hee!

Guy S.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.