Advise for my existing young clematis.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

I started my clematis collection about 2 years ago. Most of em came bareroot, little bitty, dead looking, but most made it even tho I didn't plant them properly. So, until I found this forum, I just didn't know. They were not planted 2-3" deep and I haven't pruned them cause they were soooooo little. I did dig one up that was only in the ground about a month when I found this forum and stuck him in deeper. Now, I have a few flowers. After they finish flowering, would it be benificial to prune them, even tho it's not the proper time to maybe get some good growth??? They are all group 2. I may have one that's group 3.
They also didn't get bone meal, but I just picked some up this morning. Can I add this now??

Debbie

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Debbie,

I don't prune any of my Clematis during their 1st year. It is much more important for them to get established and develop a good root system. If it is to difficult to dig up some of your vines that are already in the ground, you could add good soil, bone meal, and polymer crystals around the plant. Then add 2-3 inches of mulch on top of the new soil. It will all break down over time and will help to feed and keep your vine from drying out. Of course, watering is very important with very young vines. Watering on a CONSISTENT basis is crucial for their survival!

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Yes to everything Shirley said, but I'd be inclined to build the soil up a bit . I'd also give it a little rose food.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

The reason for the bone meal is that it helps the plant establish a good strong root system. I top dress the plant with either rose or tomato food.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

I could dig em up,I just don't wanna kill em. I would probably have to cut em back tho. May not be able to get em off the fence they're growing on in order to get em in a couple inches deeper.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

OK, I've desided to build up the soil, but I need some 6"-8" rings 3" tall to hold the soil. Any suggestions?

Debbie

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Debbie...I treat all my clematis except the pruning group 1s like group 3 the first year so they can focus on their roots...why can't you just add more soil ontop of your clematis...or even add mulch?...The real reason people say to plant them 2 - 4 inches deeper is so they stay moist being further in the soil...I always add a couple inches of composted cowmanure to my flowerbeds each year and a couple inches of mulch..this is plenty to keep mine happy....just stick your finger in the dirt where your clematis are...if it's starting to dry out ..it's time to water...they wanna stay moist...staying ontop of your watering is the key....Jeanne

This message was edited May 4, 2006 4:46 PM

I seem to remember reading somewhere that all the new vine growth is produced underground and if the plant is not planted deep enough, it will not produce new growth. So, it's more than just moisture.

Baja, you can do as Jeanne suggests, just add more soil and mulch to the existing plant. If you want it neater looking, you can add your rings. I would wander over to my local hardware store and see what they have.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Yea, beaker, What Jeanne suggested is what I'm going to do. The rings really aren't for neatess, they would be to keep the added soil in place.

After reading so much info in this forum, I see the importance of planting the clematis deeper and I wonder if it would be better in the long run to cut them off the fence in order to dig em up and sink em deeper.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Here's my fix for not planting em deep enough. Think that's enough??

Debbie

Thumbnail by baja220
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Debbie..did you really not plant it deep enough..how deep did you originally plant them...I had two wilt that I got from her and was very disappointed but I cut them back and one has already re-emerged from the ground...so, I know what you mean...if it really is that shallowly planted you might be better off digging the hole deeper and planting it deeper...just make sure you keep it watered....Jeanne

I think it's a good solution. My only other suggestion would be to add mulch in case that Tulsa sun gets too hot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.