Resources thread - your feedback, please

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

We tried this out first with the tomato folks, and they gave us good feedback, so I thought we'd try it in some other forums, too.

Here's a link to the sticky thread, in case you missed it: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/597961/

Same questions I asked the tomato forum....

1) Is it helpful (i.e., did you learn about a resource you didn't know existed, or how to better use one of the resources it described?)

2) How could it be more helpful?

3) Would you prefer to see this type of thread remain as a "sticky" thread, or linked to a separate page within the description at the top of the forum? (Were you aware of the text at the top of this or other forums? It's a fair question - don't be afraid to say you never read them ;o)

4) Do you have any suggestions for helpful threads that should be included in the "Member's Favorites" area?

5) Other feedback for us?

Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

As a newbie, I find this VERY helpful and would like to see the same sticky on other forums...especially the daylily forum! Since I don't know the correct botanical names it is hard for me to search the DL databank. I usually do a Google in order to get the DG web page for that specific cultivar. Nothing like going in the back door, huh?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

BamaBelle, thanks for the feedback. The Hems forum is definitely on my list for this project. By the way, you don't need the botanical name to search for daylilies - just put "daylily" in the common name field (or Hemerocallis in the genus) and then the cultivar name (whole or part) in the cultivar field.

And if it's a really unique cultivar name, you don't have to fill in ANY other blanks ;o)

Linton, IN

Cannas are a new addition to my garden this year. I was surprised when I first joined DG (2005) that there was no Canna thread. I am so very glad that it now exists!

This "stickies" section is incredibly helpful to me, because as a newer member, navigating, while not difficult, takes time and I am not always certain which of the topics will provide me with the information I seek.

Thank you for taking the time to provide the Canna information. From the Karchesky site (www.karcheskycanna.com), that one of the sticky links goes to, there are numerous links to other Canna-friendly sites full of information about Cannas. I have already spent hours using your sticky links to learn more about gardening with Cannas!

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

Terry
I tend to use DG the same way each visit so when I discovered the search by size color etc I was able to find a variegated canna in the right color, never would have figured that out with out the sticky.

In answer to your question, no I was no aware of the writing above ( you mean the blue writing ) but I think sticky is a good way of getting attention,

Maybe if everybody knew that there was presorted info in the blue writing it would be a good reference, for specific forums like cannas, but not for general ones like Tropicals .

I usually go right to Generalized search to find a plant but its a lot of clicks away. Maybe it could be closer on the search tab

Mostly I will Yahoo a plant and look for a DG result, normally there is one in the first 5 results.

Thanks for the time and effort you put on the site , I tell everybody I meet about it.

Neil

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

What's a sticky?

West Bend, WI(Zone 5b)

sticky pretty much means its not moving from the top, ever. even if someone starts a new thread, its going to go under the sticky.

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Terry and Dave,
This is very nice exposure.
We appreciate :-)
Alice

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

I'm just "getting into" cannas and I found this very helpful!

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

I echo that.... very helpful. Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.