Probiotics - Name some please

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I've been suffering with kidney stones for years which were finally diagnosed in Sept when I ended up in ER with a blocked kidney. I had lithotripsy to bust up the stones, but I still have a few fragments to pass in my left kidney and my right kidney has a few small stones there too.

The problem is, I can't shake the kidney infection. I've had the infection since at least last May, altho it wasn't diagnosed until I went to the hospital. At that time it was "severe", the doc said. He couldn't believe I had not come in way before I did. But in the past, when I'd complain of the pain and insist I had a kidney infection, the docs I saw would tell me it was diverticulosis (a colon problem), to eat more fiber and learn to live with it. They would not even take a urine sample, just simply dismissed me. A CT scan revealed no diverticulosis, just large kidney stones.

So I've been on and off antibiotics since Sept, more ON than OFF. And I am sick of them. They aren't working obviously. I'm so tired of feeling achy and run down all of the time, like I have the flu. I've got things to do!

So I'm looking for alternatives to antibiotics. I do take Acidolpholus (however you spell it) and I have begun eating the new Activia yogurt by Dannon. The doc has told me to stay away from Cranberry Juice (thank goodness because it's just gross). He said it contains too much sugar and really does nothing. Also, he told me Cranberry pills are of no use, just a waste of money. That makes sense to me since I've been taking them for years and my health hasn't changed.

We don't think the stones will return. We believe that it was my lifestyle (working in construction, in the heat, getting frequently dehydrated and drinking nothing but sodas all day) that formed the stones. The doc believes that once I pass these, I won't have future problems with stones. I now drink lots and lots of water and rarely a soda. I also limit my intake of sugar and salt (both help form stones), and I'm very conscious of my hydration level.

So what I need to know is what other foods out there (that taste good) are probiotics? What will help rebuild my body's own natural defense system, other than the obvious fruits and vegetables? I think the antibiotics have just stripped my immune system. I honestly won't go buy anything that tastes awful or any rare, hard to find, expensive supplements, herbal remedies, and such. I'm trying to change my lifestyle and I want some positive foods/drinks that I can stick with for life. So, any suggestions on foods that are a high source of probiotics?

This thread has 11 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!