Suggestions, please

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

This brick wall shelters the breezeway from garage to kitchen entrance. It's exposed to bright indirect light all day. As I was noticing that I need to trim the asian jasmine growing from the other side, I said to myself: "well, if this isn't wasted Vine real estate".

I will greatly appreciate suggestions on a flowering vine that I can grow thru this brick wall. Fragance a plus, would prefer evergreen, but not essential. thanks.

Thumbnail by vossner
Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

How much space would you have for a planter box? How about some of those Clematis Integrafolia. Not climbers, but about 2 or 3 feet with bell shaped flowers. I've seen them in purple and white.

plenty of space for a planter box on top of wall, but since my kitty is always walking up there, I don't want to put any obtacles. As far as the vines themselves, I would plant them inground, on the side that you can't see in this picture.

(Zone 1)

My suggestion ( which could be terrible depending on how Invasive it is for you) is to go with a nice Honeysuckle. Like Honeysuckle Mandarin. Gives it some nice colour ( Mandarin's orange Flowers and copper Foliage would go great with your existing brick's colour) and will cover the wall quickly at the same time as adding a very nice scent in your walkway right by the kitchen door.

Honeysuckle gets a bad rap ( and in certain areas rightfully so ) but in that particular location where it wont be able to bother any other plants it could be ideal. I have two growing in similar situations in my yard and find them to be perfect for the spot. Yea they need a good hard pruning everynow and than but the scent is great and they really do cover a wall nicely.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/64146/index.html

This message was edited May 1, 2006 6:57 PM

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Before I try to make a suggestion...
Is it an area you spend time in, or just pass by?

What is the lenght of the wall?

And, is it sunnier on the side shown, or the side we can't see?
-T

seedpicker,
My patio table and chairs are relatively nearby (to the right) so if there was something fragrant, it would be a source of great enjoyment as do spend a lot of time out in the patio. Heavy traffic as we go from garage to house's back entrance.

5 ft tall, 8 ft long.

about the same light exposure on both sides, all day long, indirect bright light. Brick wall never gets hot in this particular section.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

My first choice would be: Confederate jasmine(like your asian, but taller, and evergreen),...

...then corkscrew flower, moonflower vine(fragrance at night), maybe a thunbergia alata mixed in for color...

Climbing hydrangea are nice, too, but will self cling to that wall, which you may not want...

Clematis would do really well there, too.
-T

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

I 2nd the corkscrew vine, (vigna caracalla), http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1884/index.html , that would give you awesome fragrance from mid-summer thru fall, but a climbing rose with clematis would look great too.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I don't know what else is in the area or the layout, but I can see a nice pond and waterfall. It adds to the atmosphere and gives you the adventure and joy of water plants and fish. It looks shaded to me, Both plants and fish will enjoy the environment. Don't forget to add yourself into the enjoyment.

calvin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.