Can you Smell it??

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

I sure can! This is the first bloom for my Little Gem Magnolia. uummmmmm its yummy!

Thumbnail by Heavinscent
Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Beautiful!! I am sure it smells as good as it looks. I am sooo envious- can you see a green glow thru the screen?

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

LOL Berry!
This has got to be one of the best smells in my garden!! I can only say lemony but the smell is much deeper that that! I have been waiting on this bloom to open for almost a month now! I thought I was going to loose it on Sat. with all the wind and bad weather! Im so glad it made it!

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

I am glad for your noses' sake that it made it too! I am sure it is well worth the wait. How old/big was the tree when it bloomed? Could you please post a pic of the whole tree? LOL!
Deb

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Sure after I win this Brug give away Ill Go out and take one

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Ok Ive got the pic of the tree for you. Really its a funny to see such a big bloom on such a small tree!
I got it at a garden ctr early Jan. I was shocked to see it. It was in a 5 gal pot.
It has been putting out alot of new growth but only one bud thus far.

Thumbnail by Heavinscent
Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

WOW!!
So it blooms as a small, young tree? That is soo cool! I know the Southern Magnolia takes YEARS to bloom and thats why I have never bought one- am just too impatient-lol. I will def. have to order one of these.
Thanks for posting the pic- you have a very pretty place!

So did you win the brug?

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

To you have Stine Lumber there in GA?

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

No, I don't think so as I've never heard the name before.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

That is where I got mine It was about $30.00.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

I believe I have saw them at Lowes, HD and Wally-world. I will try to talk DH into getting me one next year- lol!
Thanks for posting the pix.
BTW, did you find out what is wrong with the leaves?

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Nope, But I think it may be normal.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Hay Berry, I finally got an answer. Like I thought its normal. Ive been taking notice of the other Magnolia trees in the area and all are loosing leaves and putting out new ones.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/597860/

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Glad you got an answer. My MIL's magnolia leaves turn an ugly color before they fall off too. Her tree seems perfectly healthy.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Deb,
Must be nice...that's all I've got to say!!! It's the only plant that I kill...over and over again. I will not buy another one...but how I love the scent!!!

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I've gotta get me one.I've been planning to get one for years but don't know where to put it.We have one very tall southern magnolia that is surrounded by live oaks and has no room to spread out and has to grow up in order to see the light.No blooms but I have a few small seedlings I'll try to transplant.
The entrance to Brookgreen gardens is lined with Little Gem and they seem to bloom on and off all year round.They are so gorgeous!

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

On and off all year!! Id take once a year but that sure would be nice to see blooms through out the year!
Caren

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

It might not be the same tree that is blooming at different times of the year.They have loads of trees.Every time I pass,which is often,some are in bloom.
Nancy

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

It blooms off and on all summer. Here is an article about it. http://msucares.com/news/print/sgnews/sg97/sg970130.htm
My friend has one growing in a big pot on her deck.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Thanks Cala,
Also the side shoot or sucker or what ever it is has opened its leaves and its a match to the Brunfelsia.
I got it last fall from Rare flora and I really had written it off. It just looked sad! but wow it sure has come back! Thanks for all you help
Caren

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I am going out to check my brunfelsias for suckers!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.