EarthBox Lettuce

Kearny, NJ(Zone 7a)

Here's a great example of the results that can be achieved with an EarthBox. This EB with Red Sails Lettuce was planted on 4/6 using 8 garden center transplants. This pic was taken yesterday 4/30 after I had picked a bunch for a salad for 4 last night. It's the first time I can remember picking lettuce here in Northern NJ in April and so far it's been an average Spring with only a few truely warm days. The warm soil (cover with black side out), even moisture and constant supply of nutrients really does the trick plus when it starts to go to seed I will double crop this and 3 others with Eggplant, Basil & Peppers.

Rich

Thumbnail by ritchh
Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Rich, that looks so awesome. Thats what I should have put in my 2 empty EB's.

kanita

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Pass the oil and vineagar....

Kearny, NJ(Zone 7a)

Actually Tplant it was a honey-mustard-balsamic vinegrette with some crumbled bacon for good measure and it sure was good!

Thanks kanita, never grew leaf lettuce in an EB before, just Romaine & Buttercrunch which won't be ready to start picking till the middle of the month. The fact that I picked large yet very tender leaf lettuce just 24 days after transplanting really surprised me. In my climate lettuce is a great way to double crop the EB's as it will all be picked by very early June leaving plenty of time for most anything else I care to plant in them.

Rich

Gurnee, IL(Zone 5a)

Rich, nice lettuce. I can't wait but between hail and frosts it looks like Mothers Day for me. Wow. When EBs get planted old veggie planter get planted with flowers.

Bernie

Kearny, NJ(Zone 7a)

I know exactly how you feel Bernie. Last year it was the Spring that wasn't here in the Northeast with cold cloudy & rainy weather right through into early June. Literally everything was late to mature. This year thank goodness Spring has been very kind.

Rich

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.