Some buckeye pictures

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

In my efforts to sort out the diSTINKtion between Aesculus flava and Aesculus glabra (I think I've found an easy method of identification, btw), and also in my jaunts about town, I have collected some decent buckeye pictures. So, from a Buckeye, here are some buckeyes. This first shot is of Aesculus flava, the yellow buckeye, and probably the all around best member of the genus for growing in the Midwest.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

This is a shot of Aesculus flava at Spring Grove. It is massive.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Aesculus glabra leaves and buds.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

One Kevin will recognize, Aesculus chinense.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Aesculus hippocastanum flowers. Despite the pretty flowers, do not be tempted to plant this clean foliage-challenged species.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Aesculus hippocastanum opening leaves.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

A very young Aesculus pavia. Two years old, three feet tall, already in flower.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

Was going to take pic's of A. flava today but couldn't find any that were opened.......should be ready in a few days. After seeing your pic's of A. flava with reddish tinge has got me "wondering" as I don't recall the tree's in my area having anything but the greenish-yellow color flowers. I may be wrong but I will find out soon. Anyway I'll post a pic of my "spring" grove of 1 year A. turbinata's...... they seem to grow much faster than any other Aesculus(native or exotic) that I've tried.

conifer50

Thumbnail by conifer50
Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Hmmmm....Scott--where was the Aesculus chinensis shot from? There is no hint of dark coloring to those leaves, while mine are still quite reddish. I will have to go out in the morning to compare leaves.

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Bumping so the seed rustler sees this

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Oh, yea, I meant to respond. Mine came from Arborvillage and has not a hint of red in the foliage. Yours does?

Scott

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Here it is now

Thumbnail by Kevin_5
Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

...and the whole small tree

Thumbnail by Kevin_5
Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

...and Aesculus 'Autumn Splendor' just starting to open its flowers. Please note the garlic mustard invasion is OUTSIDE the deer fence, not on my property. That's the native yellow impatiens there on my side.

This message was edited May 3, 2006 1:44 PM

Thumbnail by Kevin_5
Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

..and since I don't have a handy pic of any Carpinus(although C. fargesii is oh so photoworthy now--coming soon), here are the flowers on 'White Tigress'. Once they mature to seed, please don't steal any.

Thumbnail by Kevin_5
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Nice pictures, Kevin. Your Aesculus chinensis is definitely more photo-genic. I will watch for new growth on mine and see if it improves. The leaves I photographed are leaves that were on the plant in the box, so I'll try to use that to maintain my optimism.

What is A. "Autumn Splendor?" Is that an A. glabra? Looks nice.

Your WT looks to have a few years headstart on mine. I'll try to stay on the garlic mustard side of the deer fence and keep my greedy hands away from your seeds.

Additionally, my Acer robustum has put on at least a foot of growth already this year, as has my A. sieboldianum. A. japonicum "Attaryi" has grown 18"!

Scott

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

From ONLA

Aesculus 'Autumn Splendor'

A small oval to round headed tree growing to 35-40 feet. Observed for twenty years at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum before being named in 1980. Originated from an open pollinated seed that was provided to the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum by the Morton Arboretum.

The taxonomic characteristics of A. ‘Autumn Splendor’ closely approximate those of Aesculus x arnoldiana. Dirr, in his book, Manual of Woody Landscape Plants, classifies it as Aesculus x arnoldiana ‘Autumn Splendor’

Mature leaves are glossy green and resistant to leaf scorch that results in an unsightly appearance and premature leaf drop in many other Aesculus. Leaves turn a brilliant maroon red (PHS282A) in autumn in contrast to the yellow-brown of other cold hardy Aesculus. Perfect flowers are yellow (RHS6D) with an orange-red blotch (RHS14B) on the upper claw and are borne in terminal panicles that reach 100 mm in width and 200 mm in length. Individual flowers are approximately 20 mm in diameter. The flowers are followed by a yellow-brown, thickly husked, fruit capsule containing one or two shiny brown seeds 20 to 30 mm in diameter. A. ‘Autumn Splendor’ is hardy to U.S.D.A. Hardiness Zone 4a.

A. ‘Autumn Splendor’ is successfully propagated by side grafting on A. hippocastanum potted understock in the greenhouse in winter.

In summary: A. ‘Autumn Splendor’ is a desirable medium sized landscape tree that provides a leaf-scorch resistant glossy foliage, cold hardiness, attractive flowers and brilliant fall color.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sounds awesome! I've never heard it mentioned before. Another one to look for.

I came across a nice patch of A. parviflora at Alms Park today. Here is its nice clean spring flush of foliage.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

With flowers this dark, must this be A. x carnea?

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Here is the whole tree.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

Scott..... the pics are A. pavia.......none of the A. x carnea cultivars are that red, but some varities of A. pavia are much lighter red and similar in color to the red horsechestnuts! I have "Briotti" & "O'Neill" cultivars.

conifer50

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

conifer50 is right on the money: the blood red ones with narrower florets and smaller broader tree/shrub habit will be A. pavia.

A. x carnea has all the A. hippocastanum habits of bigger erect flowers, more crinkly leaflets on the opposite palmately compound foliage, and often apically dominant single trunk. The red horsechestnuts are best called pink or deep rose in flower; nearly red maybe.

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

Here's a comparison of leaves...... A. pavia is on the left....quite dissimilar.

conifer50

Thumbnail by conifer50
Eau Claire, WI

Red Buckeye is a tree I've coveted for some time now. I've read that it is short lived and in my light sandy soils I've never been able to pull the trigger on this one. The reason I inquire about this is that my prized Prunus maackia failed to leaf out and I'm afraid its time is up. I'm pissed! This tree was beautiful...the kind you show off to visitors. In the winter its bark never failed to bring a smile to my face. On the other hand, it is a Prunus and one should never get too attached to them I suppose. I'm not in the mood for another beautiful heartbreaker, but there's something irresistable about those flowers. Please, someone stop me.

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

So...let's say I was given a bottlebrush buckeye and something ate half of it. Ate the top clean off. How long will it take before it starts to do something? It was grown from seed, so it was only about 6-8 inches tall :(

Terry

If I can get the old dialup cranked, I'll post on the Aesculus pavia vs. Aesculus x carnea differences, since they are both blooming in the yard today.

Wild Raisin:

If your bottlebrush buckeye had many roots under it, there's a good chance it will send up a new shoot from dormant buds. If it did NOT have many roots under it, it might just expire. Sorry.

In the same promised package of Sambucus, there could easily be many many many Aesculus parviflora; they are approaching pest status here (crowding me out of my driveway -- don't you hate when that happens?).

Maackia:

See incoming dmail.

Here's a nice little Aesculus x carnea I grew out from seed; sorry if I don't achieve Decumbent status with my photos.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

And here's Aesculus pavia for comparison.

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

Scott, I have both A. glabra and A. pavia. The A. glabra, Ohio buckeye, was brought to me as a seedling, in a pot. It is now about 3 foot tall and had one cluster of blooms this spring!
The A. pavia came to me as seeds from a friend several years ago. I now have three, and they all are blooming.

I would love to have a bottlebush.

Marian

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Valley, it's nice that both of your pics include some Quercus (the real ones, not the wino cat) in the background and that one of them even seems to have a bit of wife in it! But where are the cats?

Guy S.

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

Well "It's a rainy day in Georgia," I'm bored and more Aesculus pic's "need" to be posted!

conifer50

Aesculus x carnea "O'Neil"

Thumbnail by conifer50
Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

and........A. pavia

Thumbnail by conifer50

SHF:

Those are just some weedy oaks I haven't killed off yet. Pests, one and all.

The intended background plants (which I wouldn't have expected a novice to have noticed) are the viburnums. With the red horsechestnut is proudly displayed Viburnum sieboldii 'Seneca', and with the red buckeye an experienced eye will spot Viburnum plicatum var. tomentosum 'Popcorn' in bloom.

The photographic assistant is showing off the biceps.

The cats are wondering who the fools are out in the rain.

Somebody invoked my name?

Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

Back from a long road trip (more later) to Chatham MA. to see then unseen 2yr old grandson. It is good to review one of John's wine displays again. Don't let the corks fool you, I know it looks as if he is actually sampling the stuff, but who is to really know. I believe it is some sort of weird KY acquisition syndrome, probably passed cross-species from all those horses or from his un-natural affection for all things Viburnum. Quercus obviously OD'd on c-nip again, has been trained to attack anyone with a natural inclination to sample some of the juice from his "forbidden fruit" collection. Ken

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

Hmmmmm, would his postings be as humorous if it wasn't for that collection? ;-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.