vines for a wall

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I will be moving into a new home soon and the south facing wall is a large flat expanse of brick. I would love to plant some kind of climber and had originally thought of creeping fig until I heard how invasive it can be. Any suggestions for something that will climb high but not try to overtake neighboring trees?

Atlanta, GA

Well here I am. I found the site and I found you. Sorry have no info for you

Love
Mom

Creeping fig is not "invasive". There are some very good points about creeping fig. Sure it can also grow to be a ground cover, but so will most other climbers for a wall, so you need to keep up with them at ground level too. Planting larger plants nearby pretty much does the job. I have creeping fig with no problem. Another great thing is that the little stickers it uses do not pull off stucco or make sticker marks or damage the house as ivy is prone to do.
You could also use a climbing rose on large trellis to break up the wall. I have done this for a friend. It looks good!

GGG

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the information GGG. I'll definitely try it. I was disheartened by some of the negative feedback on creeping fig, but really love the look of it. I'm happy to hear a success from somebody who lives in Atlanta.

JBG

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.