How do I use mothballs to repel squirrels?

Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

Okay, I have HAD it with the *&*$# squirrels digging up my planters. I don't mind sharing the birdseed, but the destruction of things I spent so much time growing is the last straw. I bought a box of moth balls, now do I just dump some in the planters? About how many? Will they repel the birds too? I have several plants that I am hoping will attract hummers...will putting a few moth balls in these pots harm the hummers? I am at wits ends, I spent all morning being the crazy lady chasing a pair of grey squirrels round and round the trunk of the pine tree, and am about to lose nearly everything due to these little tree-rats uprooting EVERYTHING!!!! HELP!!!

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I don't use moth balls, but I do cut pieces of chicken wire to place on tops of bothered containers (after I plant in them). I don't know if this is helpful to you, but it works for me. The plants grow through the wire.

Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

It might work for some of them..however I have 15 planted containers, and many of them too full to try to get the wire around at this point. But thank you, it is certainly on my to-do for next year. I just didn't realize they'd be so PERSISTENT. I actually had one that wouldn't get off of the patio until I went inside and got a spray bottle and started spraying him. I think I could have walked up and petted the thing!

Westerville, OH(Zone 6a)

When you get frustrated to the point of wanting to kill the varmits instead of just repelling, I have found that rat poison is very effective at reducing their population. Note: we are empty-nesters who have no grandchildren/toddlers/grade schoolers or cats/dogs running around in our yard so the rat poison is a viable option for us.

Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

That thought has seriously crossed my mind. I hate the thought of killing anything, but I am almost afraid of them they are so fearless. I have a cat, but he stays inside for the most part, and i can't let him out with the mothballs either. Also, I live in an apartment complex, third floor, so anyone on my patio other that me isn't likely. I guess my biggest drawback is fear that there is someone here feeding them, and I would be crushed if someone poisoned "my" birds. That and I am not too sure of the legality of it..to me they are just rats with cuter clothes, but to others they are wild pets.

Eureka, CA

I don't have grey squirrels, but a cousin of some kind. I can't stand them.... mostly because of raiding the bird feeders. Last year I purchased a "havahart" live trap. I relocated 6 of them by the end of the summer. So far I have relocated 2 more. I understand your frustration!!! Good luck!

Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)

Artemiss:

I "had" a problem with squirrels and armadillos. I bought a product called Shake Away, it's dried Coyote Urine. The stuff works awesome!! Now the squirrels and armadillos raid my neighbors yard. My neighbor thought I was nuts, he tells me there's no coyotes in central FL. I told him I know, and there's also no more squirrels or armadillos in my yard either, they're in your yard tearing it up...lolol...

biLL

Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

Bill,
Funny, my bf mentioned the same thing(coyote urine) a few days ago...I just didn't know what it was called and if it would would work on squirrels...where do you get it?

Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)

I found it on-line. I will try to find the name of the site and I will D-mail it to you. It was about 9 months ago I bought it. I found the site through Google. The stuff worked awesome!!!! Like I said, no more squirrels or armadillos. Now they're my neighbors problem....lolol....

biLL

Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

That would greatly appreciated! I have a few mothballs out on the containers that were hit hardest. (my poor, poor fuschia..) but there are gonna repel ME too! phew!

Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)

Artemiss:

Go to google and type Shake Away, it's the first link on the 1st page. Or go to www.critter-repellent.com
The stuff isn't cheap but for the results you'll get, you can't afford not to buy it!!. If I remember correctly, they also sent me a free bottle for sending them a testimonial. Anyway, like I said, the stuff works AWESOME!!!!
Good Luck!!

biLL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.