Wallflowers

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Does anyone grow these? (Erysimum).

Nothing reminds me of my childhood in the north of England more than the scent of these plants. I remember a local park used to be bedded out in Spring with these underplanted with tulips. Unforgettable! It's actually quite a cliche in the UK and too often the wallflowers are ripped out too early to make way for summer bedding.

A local florist had some pots of these and I almost wept with joy when I saw them! I got a nice intense yellow and a lovely dark red. I'll plant them out (I have the yellow in the office so I can enjoy it up close for a couple of weeks) and I'm hoping they might seed around for me. With being biennial I'm not sure how well they'll do here.

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

This is the red.

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

They are lovely. I planted some wildflower perinnel seeds that has some wallflowers in the mix, didn't know what they looked like, so am anticipating them. You say they are fragrant? That is so much for the better. I will hope that some come up.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I love wallflowers. I used to have an orange one. They don't do well in zone 5, but I have seed and want to try again.

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

I love them too. I used to have them but they died out. I have a plant that came up last year. I am eagerly awaiting it's blooms....hoping it is one. The plant looks like it.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

The only one hardy enough to grow for a couple of years for me, was akwrightii. I think that's how it's spelled.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I too had some orange 'Siberian' Wallflowers. Short-lived perennials or maybe bi-annuals.
The fragrance is wonderful, every time I walked past them I had to sniff.
Andy P

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.