Night digger

erie, PA(Zone 5a)

This past week I have found that some creature has been digging at the base of my red twig dogwood, honeysuckle and hydranga plants. I have a field stone border around these plants and what ever it is, is rolling back the stones (5lb-10lb) and digging at the plants root base to a depth of 2-3 inches. It isn't eating the roots, just digging , maybe looking for insects. I don't think it is a skunk as I had a problem with them tearing up my yard about 7 years ago looking for grubs untill I put down grubx. I live in what you would call the inner city, but like I said , we have gotten skunks in the past. I cann't find any paw tracks or telltale signs that would suggest a perticular creature. Does anyone have any idea what type of animal could be doing this? How to get rid of it? I have 2 dogs so poison is out and I don't feel like standing guard duty all night watching for its return.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

When you figure out how to stop whatever it is, I need to know too! Something is driving me nuts here digging in my garden. I've tried wire mesh, lemon branches(nasty thorns), loud music, lights, dog poo.........nothing stops them.
I asked at a couple of nurseries and they said that o'possums, raccoons and armadillos all dig for grugs and worms. I think my digger is a raccoon.

Eureka, CA

I'd say raccoon, based on what I see them do around here. They're pretty amazing with those hands of theirs.

erie, PA(Zone 5a)

It could be a possum or a raccoon but I think I am a little far north for armdillos. I use to see them when I was stationed at Sheppard AFB in Texas and I hope they never grow fur and move here, nasty little suckers. The neighbor suggested sprinkling pepper around the plants as he uses it to keep his dog away from his veggie garden, but then my dogs might get a snot full as well. Maybe it is a coon, any suggestions how how to get rid of it? Do they live in hollow trees or do they burrow in the ground? If in the ground, I might be able to find its home and give it an eviction notice!

I'm not familiar with the damage Armadillos do but what you described to me sounds an awful lot like a raccoon. Could be an opossum too. Skunks would seem to be the most likely culprit were it not for the size of the rocks you mentioned being 5-10lbs. If all the critter is doing is moving around a few little rocks, any chance you could sort of co-exist?

Uncapped chimneys and attics are more likely to be where a raccoon would den more so because that's all they have left in urban areas. There aren't too many large trees left with those wonderfully spacious cavities. Raccoons prefer taller structures they can get in to from the top and uncapped chimneys are ideal. They like a peaceful and protected space to keep their young safe from predators. Chances are a raccoon is coming from either an uncapped chimney you may have or one a neighbor may have. This is easy enough to deal with after the young are raised because most hardware and big box home improvement stores sell caps that can be installed. If you think you have a raccoon around and if you think it may have set up camp in your chimney and you really want it to move on... D-mail me and I'll tell you how to "gently" encourage it relocate its young and move on. No need to call pest control or use toxic chemicals that could harm your dog or kids. I've done it myself before. Takes a few days and they leave.

Opossums are opportunistic too. They'll take up residency with you in a heart beat if given an oppotunity. Although opossums and skunks prefer to den closer to the ground in crawl spaces, areas under porches & patios, and even root cellars they can dig their way into; opossums are opportunists and have been known to den in some of the same digs a raccoon would choose. You get the idea. Exclusion after young are raised and able to leave her pouch on their own is always best. Mom needs a nice quiet and protected place to sleep during the day while she has her babies. Opossums are extremely docile creatures and pose no threat to you in my humble opinion.

Neat websites you might enjoy-
http://www.peninsulahumanesociety.org/resource/wild.html http://www.hsus.org/wildlife/urban_wildlife_our_wild_neighbors/index.html

erie, PA(Zone 5a)

You know, it just might be a possum. About 2 years ago I was setting on the back deck late at night, when my dog started barking at the yard! When I looked over the railing, I saw a baby possum playing dead. I put the dog inside, came back outside about 10 min later, and the baby possum was gone. Maybe it has grown up or one of its realitives has moved into the neighbood. I'll have to check under the deck and around the house to see if there is a den or borrow. Thanks for the links.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.