Just finished a raised bed

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi,

I removed all the existing plants from an existing border (not raised), removed much of the native clay soil which cannot support much and worked in plenty of compost down to about 12" or so. I then realized that I was just creating a trench that would collect water and possibly drown the plants I'm hoping to put in.

So I decided to take the safe route and made a 12" raised bed. I had 6 yards of "planters mix" soil delivered to fill it. The num nuts at the sales desk can't really tell me exactly what it is but it seems to contain roughly equal parts clay/sand, compost and manure. I ran a little short so I bulked it up with compost and manure from the home center.

Anyhow, I'm not really planning on planting anything until fall or spring and that's probably a good thing. The manure smell is still fairly pungent and I think they rush the compost from the home center a little. The mix is very dry right now. It's pretty much in full sun.

My question relates on what is the best way to prepare this bed for planting 6 months or so from now. I think I need to keep it damp at the very least to get the microbial action going and attract earthworms. Since it's in full sun and I'm in zone 9 this will require quite a bit of water. I was thinking perhaps it might be best to cover the whole thing with plastic (with plenty of holes poked in it for oxygen). I put in an extensive drip system so I could even run drip lines under the plastic.

Am I right in assuming I need to keep the soil damp?

Anything else I should do?

Thanks

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

All is well with your plan. I would keep it moist once a week and if your not going to use it I would plant a green crop over it to keep the weeds down and build nitrogen. Buckwheat, legumes, whatever you decide. That way your improving the soil and fixing Nitrogen. It also lets you see how the soil is working.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

If you're not planting a green manure and you want to retain moisture, put a layer of shredded leaves, grass clippings, straw or the like on top. Wormies will come.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.