IT Can Rain in Missouri

Marshall, MO(Zone 5b)

Got up this am and had a;most 1 1/4 " in the gauge. When I got off work everything looks like it jumped a foot.

Nice slow rain coming down in St. Louis. My flowers are just loving it.

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Same out here. I hope the drought is broken.

Lees Summit, MO(Zone 5b)

As much as I and my plants love the rain, it ruined my sale this weekend :-(

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

It is much needed. Hopefully lots goes into the pond where the cattle drink.. It was getting so low.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Huffy, we live about 15 miles south of Marshall and had over an inch in our gauge too. Then it rained most of the day. I just looked at the rain guage and there is another 3/4" at least. We needed this moisture so much. We were over 4" behind the norm for this time of the year. We are so grateful to GOD for sending this rain at this time so the crops will be off to a good start and the pastures and hay fields will put on good growth.

Raymondville, MO

talking about rain.....It has been raining cats and dogs in this part of the woods..

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

Nice and soggy here! Rained a nice slow rain for hours today. . We have reached around 6 inches in the past week and a half. Surely our drought is broken.
Leaflady, I echo your thanks to God for this.

We are nice and soggy, too. I made it more soggy today.

I bought a bottle of fish emulsion to use for fertilizer. The bottle states that it has a "deodorizer" in it. I have a sprayer that attaches to the garden water hose. I sprayed and sprayed and sprayed some more. Now, my whole neighborhood smells like fish!!! My hubby came home and held his nose till he got into the house - he was running. LOL.

Anyone ever use this stuff?

Crystal

crystal----- I drove the neighbors out of the area last fall with almost a Ton and a half of Turkey compost I put down on my lawn and in all my beds. Had it not been for the drought the smell would have been gone real fast.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

okla. is soaked here all night here and all today, i'am now sick of rain. its too too much..

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

We are still getting rain, too . But I am not ready to cry "uncle" yet. The drought is too fresh in my mind.
It is so lush and green here !

Turkey compost -- ewwww, bet that smelled really good!! LOL

Where is the sun? I think I have definately had enough of this overcast weather and rain. I want my sun back!!!!

Thumbnail by
Ballwin, MO

Maybe if we all call the sun, it will know its missed and come back!! I thought this was May, not March!! Oh well, I guess we got spoiled. And if the sun was out we'd be wishing for rain so we didn't have to water so much!

Crystal if you get a good rain on turkey compost will loose the odor fast. Besides most of those neighbors want to know where to get it. I put 1 load on the lawn and another load on the plant beds. I say neighbors but reall I only have 2. the rest are summer people.

Turkey compost is a compost made from turkey litter. That is not just turkey droppings it is the bedding the turkeys live in it is called Mash. I know leaflady knows exactly what it is made of but a lot of it is ground up corncobs.

You being a city person I am sure there are no turkey barns there about. So I will tell you about them.

A turkey barn is a big building they raise turkeys and chickens also for market. When I say big I mean football field sized buildings at least. Anyway after the turkeys are sent to market they go into those barns with a bulldozer and scoop up all the turkey mash and turkey drooping in it. They turn that into compost. It is a very nice comost it is fine like potting soil you get in the store. But it can burn a plant used full strength.

Well north of me between here and Jefferson city there is a Co-op of I think 5 families that own 14 turkey barns. They also own a composting bussiness. They have a compost drum like nothing you have ever seen. The drum is 10 ft in Dia and 50 ft long. They can put 55 tons of turkey litter in there at a time. That drum then makes one revolution every 17 minutes 24 hours a day and in four days all the turkey mash comes out of the other end looking like black top soil. This stuff is about some of the best ferilizer you can ever imagine. spread on a lawn by thowing it with a shovel will give you all kinds of benefits. I have no doubt that come around December next year I will be heading up for another load of it for my lawn. On farms they spread it 1 inch deep in the fall and turn it in in the spring. but that is way to strong for a lawn. It is really wonderful stuff and it is the future with so much poultry in the diet and corn based fuels in the future.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Turkey compost is good stuff. I used to own chickens before my next door neighbor's dog killed them all and we used their droppings for our gardens here. It has really helped break up the clay and fertilize the gardens.

Sounds like I need some of that turkey compost. I need a truck to bring it home, or guess I could rent a truck. I'll have to check into that.

I've really smelled up my yard. LOL. I've used fish fertilizer and now spread alfalfa tea around the yard. The neighbors are probably wondering what the heck I am doing. But hey, my flowers are grow liike wild fire. I planted about 40-50 rose bushes and they are blooming already.
Oh, and I used Deer-Off to make the rabbits leave. So, yes, I have the stinkiest yard around. LOL.

I'm ready for it to rain again. First we get tooooo much, now to little. Guess, I would rather have the sun and drag the hoses around.

Crystal

I wouldn't want to be next door to you right now. It's bad enough my next door neighbor don't have a sewage system. Just a hole behind the trailer. But to put fish on top of that? WHEW!!!

I planted hostas yesterday and the ground was hard as a rock. Could barely get the shovel in. Took several hours to just plant 5 hostas. The worst part is I went thru all that hard work and now the ants have decided to make homes right where my hostas are. Not next to them or in front of them, on top of them. If they eat my hostas, Im gonna get real mean.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Pepper, use ant killer immediately!! They are hording aphids which will suck all the juices from your plants. I have to use water to soak the soil sometimes to make it digable. Have you tried gathering leaves in the fall and either digging them in then or letting then rot down for a year or so and then digging then in? Look for a stable that has cleanings available or a fair grounds that has barn cleanings they will give away. Our daughter in Independence has a few she visits regularly for pickup loads of both mulch material and good dirt. I go to the state fair grounds about 15 miles away and get ground barn cleanings. We usually let them sit for a season before using them to they are well decomposted when we get them because they let a pile straight from the barns get very large before grinding it and then it sometimes sits there for some time before people come get it. This year I plan to get another dump truck load of it. Costs to get it delivered but is worth it. We also have a small stable just next door-3/4 mile or so- that has a pile of good dirt from barn cleanings we can get any time we want it. They are glad to be rid of it.

Does cinnamon work? My mom heard from someone to use that. i just went out and dumped a bunch on em so we will see. I drowned some of my ants yesterday too.

Marshall, MO(Zone 5b)

Oh how fickle we are when it comes to the weather. Boo Hoo when it dosen't rain but worse when it does. right now I wouldn't mind another couple of inches and some cooling off.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I agree Huffy1. We really need to get together. We only live about 20 miles apart I think. Hughesville is halfway between Marshall Junction and Sedalia.

It is so dry here from the winds that the soil has trouble absorbing the water and when it does it is dry again in just a day or 2. I try to leave the soakers and sprinklers on for several hours so the water goes deep but plants with shallow roots still need often watering. I need to get started on putting down the wood chip mulch we have such a large pile of thanks to the crews who trim trees for the local electrical co op.

WE HAVE RAIN!! YIPEE!!! It is coming down nice and steady. Don't know how long it will last but even just a little is better than nothing. We also have thunder and lightning but nothing severe...yet.

Rain tapering off. It came down pretty hard for awhile there. I hope one of you guys get hit with this.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

We heard quite a bit of thunder in the east and I saw one flash of lightening while working in the asparagus bed yesterday afternoo/evening but only a few drop of rain. This morning I got up to see it raining nicely. So far about 1/4" which is wonderful. I did lots of watering over the last week, over the weekend and again yesterday. We have soaker hoses all over the place as well as one new sprinkler. The old ones must be plugged up with something as water only trickles out of some of the holes. Think I'll soak them in vinagar and see if that helps them. They were cheapys and have lasted thru one or 2 seasons so I guess I can't expect too much from them. Especially since I left them outside all winter.

Leaflady---- my bet is spider weds in the hose. It happens here a lot. Sometimes hard to clean them out. But then there is Diesal fuel I suppose.

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

Dirt Daubers will fill up hoses , too. My el-cheapo hoses have collapsed and kink everytime they get in a bind. Bummer!

The rains are going all around us. I am dragging around 200 + feet of hose ! Sure glad some of you are getting it.

Marian

( I corrected my spelling of dirt daubers...lol. )

This message was edited May 31, 2006 1:40 PM

I am not happy with Mother Nature right now. All the rain went south of us. We could get more later but i want some reain from ALL the systems. We need it sooo bad. Oh well, those of you who have gotten it so far, enjoy it!!!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

It is the sprinkler bars that are plugged but I do suppose that spiders and daubers could get that far in. No other signs of them tho. Diesel fuel just might do it. LOL

We got 1/2" rain yesterday evening, more last night, and some more this morning off and on. I weed a place, plant seeds or new plants, then it rains for a few minutes. It has gone that way all morning. I love it.

We finally got some rain late last night and some this morning. I planted 2 pussy willows yesterday so I am glad we got this rain. I have had them in a pot but I decided they might like the ground better. So we will see.

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

we had 1 1/4 in last night started about 10:30 and was over just a little after 12 am

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

We got about 1/2" of nice rain last night. There were hailstorms and high winds east and south of us all evening but the rain didn't get to us until about midnight.

We got the thunder but very little rain here. It was all around us but it mostly skipped my county. My grandma lives south of here and she hasn't had rain in so long that her grass is mostly brown and crunchy. We will get one mowing on it this week and then it will be awhile if we don't get anymore.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

We have a type of fescue that seems to be impervious to anything. It usually doesn't even die back in the winter unless it is a very hard cold winter. I'd be glad to send her some clumps of it. :>) It is now considered a noxious imported weed grass. Back in the late '50s farmers were told it was the most wonderful grass there was for pasture and hay. What they didn't know was that it sometimes develops nematodes on the roots that constrict blood vessels in the extremities of animals causing cows to go dry, hooves and tails to lose circulation, etc. As a yard grass it is nearly impossible to kill out. But it doesn't die out in drought or monsoon.

I will ask my dad since he does all the mowing over there and see what he says. When are you gonna be at PG again? I am gonna try to get over there again.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Pepper, I should be there next Monday unless something unexpected comes up. I gave Amy her baby shower gift last week since I never really know when I might be there again. I do know the 26th is taken by a doctor appointment for Jack in Columbia. I would be glad to bring you some of the fescue for your folks. We have many acres of the stuff. Some times we hate it, some times we love it. It all depends on the climatic conditions at the moment. Jack seems to feel there is a better newer fescue available nowadays. Why don't you ask Allen at PG about it before we jump in and give this plant to your parents. Your local University of Missouri Extension Center should be able to give you a good suggestion. Jack thinks this one is called Kentucky 31. I would hate to spread something that is really bad when something better is available. But we rarely have a brown lawn.

Marshall, MO(Zone 5b)

Shhhhh. It;s trying to rain right now. Don't go scare it off. I realllly need it, I'm tired of watering everything.

Marshall, MO(Zone 5b)

Must of worked I've got 2 1/2" this am, and I is estatic.

We got rain too. Don't know how much but don't care because it is rain!! Supposed to get more today. We will see.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.