Planting potatoes

Lancaster, PA(Zone 6b)

We've grown various varieties of potatoes for years. The last 5 years or so, they've been coming up very spotty. I think we may have been planting too late, and perhaps too deeply. Sometimes we didn't plant until end of May (zone 6) and we usually planted 10-12" deep. Today is April 29 and we would like to plant our potatoes today. Any thoughts on the best way to plant for ultimate germination and yield. Of course, we do hill them up as they grow. Jessiet

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I never plant deeper than 6 inches and when in Zone 6b the last of March -first of April. Lots of folks in 6 b (Virginia) plant around St. Patricks day. They do like to get started early. Also be careful of putting fertilizer in the row. You will get better sprouting with fertizer put in a band beside the row or added as a sidedressing after emergence.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I plant mid march or so here two inches deep and hill as they grow using composted cow power tilled in in the fall only no commerical fertilizer. Ernie

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

In zone 5, I plant 4'' deep, add soil acidifier and try to get them in in April. This year I cut up red store bought potatoes that were rubbery and got them in March 27th. Most of them are up.

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

jessiet..

Do you rotate where you plant your potatoes? Planting them in the same place, year after year, increases the risk of bacterial diseases spreading.

And, it does seem you're planting too deeply. Start with a trench about 8" deep, and place the seed potatoes in it. Fill the trench about halfway with soil. As the plants grow, mound the soil halfway up the plant every couple weeks for a month. Then, maybe add an inch or two a week, to make sure the forming potatoes are covered with a loose soil to grow in. This makes it easier for them to form, as well as makes harvesting easier. It's the best method I've found. HTH

billyporter..

You really should use certified seed potatoes, instead of what you have left over from the grocery store. ;)

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Usually I do, but the reds were going rubbery and had good sprouts. I thought what the heck, they live and I get potatoes, or they die and become fertilizer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.