My First attempt at cannas

Brighton, MI(Zone 6a)

This was my first attempt at growing cannas. I planted 14 bulbs last year and this is what came up. When I dug them up for the winter there was well over 80 bulbs. The tallest plants were over 8 feet.. Does anybody know what variety these are?. Can I plant them again in early May or should i wait till late May? I'm new to all of this blog thing so any help will be appreciated. Thanks a lot to all.

Thumbnail by paver_1
Denver area, CO(Zone 5a)

They look like a variety called Robert Kemp. You seem to be a natural at growing them!

Looks great - I love seeing you in the pic.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Paver....not a bad first attempt!
:)
They look great! (as do you)

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

Wow, well done, How great
If thats your first attempt well theres hope for me yet, just ordered some variegated ones "Canna Stuttgart"
How many did you plant , and how long did they take to get that big?

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Celt.....Make sure you put your Stuttgarts in the shade....any sun will make the white parts on the variegation, turn brown....
I have them, I love them, but even in the shade, I still get brown crispy parts every now and then.

Brighton, MI(Zone 6a)

Celt i planted 14 bulbs..............took the summer to grow that big................have close to 100 now............oh by the way thats not me in pic....thats my friend who gave me the original risomes...........

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.