just a ramble

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

setting here watching it rain with a big smile This front is the first we've had that has a chance to really help the drought in over a year the weather man said it was the bigest sence jan of 05 we did get enough rain last week to get the garden worked yesterday but it started raining to early today plant this morning as i had to go to town and get feed for the rabbits i've got peppers ,eggplant & tomatoes in the greenhouse about ready to plant was wanting to put my beets,onions , the first row of string beens & corn in today but looks like it will have to wait till the last part of next week so the tomatoes will go in with them too also to say Hi to everyone from dave 719 & ellesgh

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi dave 719 & ellesgh..
We're suppose to get rain in St. Louis this weekend. I will certainly welcome it. I don't plant veggies anymore. I have a yard that's mostly shade, so I put flowers in the sunny spots and then shade plants in the rest of it. Happy to hear you're enjoying your rain.. Send it my way.
Pam

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

We had about an inch last week-end it was great. Then it started again this morning about 2 am and hasn't stopped. I mean it stops every now and then but starts right up again. Last night my husband and I finished putting in our garden. Already had cabbage, onion and 30 tomato plants in the ground. Last night we put in squash, pepper plants and cucumbers and had to replant the strawberry patch. I still have to get my castor beans planted. They are sitting on the patio getting use to the sun. That was funny today it is liquid sunshine.

Pamget you should be getting some rain any minute now. Don't reply and tell me the sun is shinning there. LOL

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Dave 719 never heard that town in mo.. its rainimg here good flash flood warnings.. first no rain then hail and rain, now rain ,rain.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Ah, but such a nice rain today. It is really a blessing. I'm loving it!!!

Susan
=^..^=

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

PAM---- what do you mean Flowers in the sun and shade plants in the shade. You are missing out on Impatients ????? We always have about 150 in the yard in the shade.

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

Hope 43 Humansville is north of Springfield about 35 Miles on 13

Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

I have one garden planted but the one where the tomatoes, peppers, and corn will go isn't planted yet. I sure should have gotten it in last night but part of it still looked too wet from the last rain. I figure I should be able to get the plants in some time this next week if it dries up enough to wade through. I should have done what I figured out this morning to do (too too late) and just put the plants in the ground and worry about raking the garden later. It's already been tilled. I planted beans and cucumbers in the other garden last weekend. It already has onion, assorted lettuce, and brocolli. I couldn't see any seeds sprouting up yet last night but soon...

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

i see Dave never heard of it.. sure different name

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I am so happy that it is raining here in the Midwest this weekend. I have planted several new fruit trees and I needed them watered so badly. I love the smell of rain in the air, especially after it has been dry for so long..

Corn has gone in the fields here.

Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

Ahh, the rain has been lovely...it is sure giving my allergies a break. There was that wonderful spring film of yellow pollen on everything, and I have been just miserable. Glad the rain is getting to the folks who have really needed it.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

About 1 3/4" since yesterday morning. Thank You, GOD.

We have onions, potatoes, spinach, carrots, and beets in the raised beds. The 3 tomato plants I have are making nice big roots in bigger cells. I'll get more when an elderly friend and I go on our annual greenhouse trip east on highway 50 almost to Jeff City this week. I'll only put out about 6 for us as there are just 2 of us and one lady who won't get to garden this year. I don't think I'll put out any peppers and just a couple Ichaban eggplants. More just go to waste. Don't know if I'll bother with zukes, but will try cukes and winter squashes in very limited quantities.

This message was edited Apr 29, 2006 9:46 PM

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Ozarkian- Sorry I took a while to answer..busy busy busy.

I do have a LOT of impatiens - and some Columbine.. I haven't found too many other "flowering plants" that do very well in shade-- I put the impatiens out a few weeks ago, but they are pretty small still. The impatiens bloom best when they get a little morning sun- which they do in our yard- but it's brief.. I also have some Astibile

We have Hostas, bleeding hearts, lilies of the valley-- Any other ideas for blooming shade plants-- send them my way.

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

We got another 1 1/2 inches yesterday, and could possibly get more today. Then they are talking about more in the middle of next week. I don't know about anybody else but I'm ready for the sun to come out and stay a while so I can get some planting done. I don't care to dig in the mud. This is what usually happens you don't get any rain for a while and then when you do it doesn't quit. Glad we got it, but need some sun.

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Pamget---Dark colored Heuchera, Orbistan cdomes to mind. It is nearly purple black and likes deep shade. All of the Tiarrella,Heuchera and Heucherella will work in shade but the bright ones you need to play the sun off of some. All three are finicky in our heat down here also. I have 31 different species of these plants. Helleborus work in shade and bloom very early. Another on is Lamium. I got three types of these. One is bright yellow follage (name is Bessinghams white) a varigated one called Anne Greenway,plus a couple of the white follaged ones, One that is common inthe box stores and one very vigorious one called Purple Dragon. Hope over to Sugar creek Pamget they carry Anne Greenway and Purple Dragon. You might try Brunnera also in your garden.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Ozarkian- Thanks for the info.
I'm going to give these a try for sure. I have a few empty shade spots to fill up. I'll check out Sugar Creek and see what I can find.

ALSO--HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL YOU "MOMS"..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.