Another showing seed pods hanging...

Lucama, NC(Zone 7b)

It has tons hanging all over it!

Thumbnail by BevHart
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

That is a beautiful thing to see! I can't quite believe that I left this forum for so long and didn't see it. Great photo too.

Lucama, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks! It is pretty full that is for sure.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Do you know the cultivar?

Lucama, NC(Zone 7b)

No, I really wish I had more insight. As was one of the reasons I posted. I love it and the colors are amazing!

Knoxville, TN

Kind of hard to see the type of leaves it has for all the seeds hanging! Wow that is great. I would definately be collecting those when they are ready. I have a laceleaf that is about 20 year old plus that I am not exactly sure what cultivar it is also but it has seeds bearing this spring that I had never noticed before. I will take a picture tonight and post it here.
I took seeds from another japanese maple of my mothers and stratified and planted last spring and they are doing well. I am wondering if I would need to do the same (stratify) for seeds that come out in the spring?.....Anyone with some knowledge on this please let me know.

thanks
rkipper

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

From what I have learned you should leave 'em hanging til fall...some say til they are about to fall but you might be like me and be too busy ( read lazy ;>) ) and screw up and miss picking them til it's too late and they have fallen and mixed with all the reguklar maple seeds or eaten by squirrel...s so I would say in fall but not TOO late...You can statify them in the fridge there is a bunch of stuff on the web on how to do it!! OR you could just plant 'em out in a area where the squirells etc can't get 'em an let the winter naturally do it ...from what I have heard from varias folks that works ..As always be advised that seed is not true to parent plant and may be same or be vastly differnt and you won't necessarily know for 2-4 years what it will ultimatly look like ...SO unless you got alot of land , alot of time, and like vegas odds...You are better off grafting the parent plant of buying a named cultivar... but if you like screwing around and want to maybe find a neat "new" specimin go for it...David

Knoxville, TN

I already did and have like 60 seedlings between the greenhouse and various places right now. LOL. I didn't get to take that picture last night but will do this evening. I have a photo of the tree but I wanted to get a pic of the seeds that are on the tree right now. I had heard some produce seed in the spring and wow it did. The seedlings are not from this tree, it was another, upright, but small japanese maple from my moms property. I love my japanese maples.

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

I would be very interested in how to deal with seeds. Is there a thread someone can link me to that explains what to do? My sango kaku has some this spring, not sure if those would come true to form, as I assume it is grafted (not sure on that one) but would be fun to see.

Laura

Knoxville, TN

Here are the seeds that are coming out on my Laceleaf Maple

Thumbnail by rkipper
Knoxville, TN

And here is the tree. This one is my pride and joy.
Both these photos are not the best as I used my camera on my phone.....

This message was edited May 9, 2006 8:21 PM

Thumbnail by rkipper
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful tree. I can see why you love it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.