An Important Thought on Friendship and DG

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya guys,

I do think that it is important to discuss Art. And when a true artist enters our midst, becomes a friend, and shares his vision with us we should all take note. I've met a lot of incredibly talented and inspired people at DG and most of them in this forum. One has almost always stood head and shoulders above all of us. Not only because of the breath-taking works of art he's shared in this forum, but for his excitement and encouragement of us all when we're here showing what we do as well.

Those of you who know me, know that I am an active trader of plants and seeds here at DG. I love art, and it's up for some debate as to my abilities to produce art or even recognize it when I see it....lol. Last night, while opening a box that I thought was seeds from my dear friend balvenie, Pam was stunned, I was paralyzed by the box inside the box that held the seeds. My friend balvenie sent me a hand carved, signed, piece of his work that I think says something about him as an artist, as a man, certainly as a friend, and as a fellow DG contributor.

Dave's is a community, but it is also a property owned by another man most of us who frequent these forums should be grateful to. I'm grateful for DG because I get to participate in ongoing conversations in this forum about things [art] that inspire me to do better, frighten the heck out of me, and make me laugh. I think it is called Joy. Balvenie is certainly one of the great joys I've received from DG. His friendship goes way beyond the ooohhs and aaaahhhs of admiring his many and varied talents as an artist. His friendship has inspired me to take chances, creat silly and meaningless bits of work that cannot possibly ever compare, but the appreciation is in the trying and going back daily to be further inspired by his skill.

I, for one, owe dave a debt of gratitude for making it possible to meet balvenie and many of you, make friends, enjoy the wackiness of art and the beauty of a community of artists. You guys are all pretty darn great, and it is a distinct honor to be an interloper in a room full of talent.

Thank you balvenie, for being my friend and being here to share your skills and talents with all of us.

best to you always,
don

A pic of the top of the hand-carved box my seeds came in: Amazing.....

Thumbnail by drdon
This thread has 26 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!