pruning clematis interwoven with other vines.

San Rafael, CA

I always read about how beautiful clematis is climbing in around other plants and vines. It looks great when it is in bloom, but when it dies back and you have all that old wood to trim back it can be very tricky to sort it out from the jasmine or other vines. Most of my clematis are spring blooming, and I know there are different types that need different types of pruning. My question is how to do it if the vines are intertwined..
Thanks

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Good question! If you have Spring blooming Clematis, they do not need to be pruned back, because they are in Group 1. However, if you have Group 2's, early blooming varieties, they benefit from a light pruning in early Spring. Group 3's receive a hard prune to about 18" above the soil level. If you combine 2's and 3's together, I would treat them all as Group 3. Yes, you will sacrifice some of the early blooms, but you will save your sanity! :~)

I don't have other perennial vines growing amongst my Clematis, so I guess it would depend on which group of Clematis are intertwined with the Jasmine. I would experiment. Try a light pruning, as if your Clematis were in Group 2, hopefully, that will increase the number of Jasmine vines too. The Jasmine not only looks pretty growing through the Clematis, but the smell must be heavenly too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.