Wow! Did I do some budget damage at Whitman Farms

North Plains, OR(Zone 8a)

I'm at it again. Thank heaven I have a saint for a husband.

We visited Salem yesterday to go to Whitman Farms. I wanted to see some Japanese Maples and Tree Peony before I started searching for specimins for the Oriental portion of our gardens.

Lucille and her farm are wonderful. We walked her farm with her as she showed us various trees and shrubs. She is very much in love with what she grows and is a wealth of information. Our dogs, her dog, and the three humans had a great time.

Look we did, and buy I did. We came home with the back of the truck loaded with wonderful things - two different Acer Palmatums, a Chaste Tree, two Tree Peony, a Weigela, a False Larch, a Sambuca, a Lagerstroemia. Everything is large and lovely.

I have many big holes to dig today!

I am so excited. I posted positive feedback on Whitman Farms, but had to share it with the 'local' people. Whitman Farms is open by appointment and I suggest, if you like unusual trees and shrubs and are in the Salem area you phone for an appointment. You will love the farm and thoroughly enjoy your visit with Lucille.

Roni

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Oooo, what fun! Post pics of what you bought. What color are the tree peonies?

Gwen

Pale pink. They are 'Feng Dan Bai'. Some were blooming in her garden and they are breathtaking.

Roni

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I googled that and that variety is described as white on the sites I found.

Check out this site:
http://www.ourpeony.com/tpeony/white.html

Stunning flowers. What they call blue I would call pink and many of their 'reds' look more pink to me too. But there are some real beauties. Hard not to want them all!

One of the very few plants I would pay this much money for!

Gwen

Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

Gorgeous. Good thing that place is in Oregon, or I'm sure I'd be in trouble too! Sounds like you got some great items!

The flowers are definitely a soft pale pink. Mine, of course, are small and won't bloom this year, but the "parents" that I saw are magnificent.

Roni

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.