Somebody's eating my hydrangea leaves!

New Haven, CT(Zone 6a)

I can't find any critters, at least not yet, but one side of the plant is pretty severely munched. I thought maybe it was just damage from the heavy rains we've had (the poor thing is planted right under a drainspout practically, and we haven't cleaned the gutters in a while), but it really looks like the leaves have been gnawed. Is anyone else having this problem? Is there an organic solution anyone can think of? No chemicals for me, please. I'll also try posting on the organic gardening part, but I wanted to ask my trusted friends first...

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Got Squirrels? Squirrels are munching my prize Helleborus and ignoring the "cheap ones". Since then number of trees in the neighborhood is declining - I'm thinking that the squirrels don't have as much food. I was feeding them dried whole grain bread until one punk teenage squirrel sniffed the bread and flung it away in disgust. Then he walked right over to the Helleborus and munched on it! Someone suggested that he was on a low carb diet. So now I throw them a big handful of dried corn every morning and that seems to help with the plant munching.

New Haven, CT(Zone 6a)

Aha! That could be it. There are plenty of trees around, but I still see them milling around in both the front and back yards. Hmm...I'll have to try the corn trick and see if that works! Thanks, neighbor!

Rhinebeck, NY(Zone 5b)

What about Bambi? They love oakleaf hydrangeas, and will certainly eat Anna Belles in a pinch!

New Haven, CT(Zone 6a)

I'm actually in a residential neighborhood of downtown New Haven, so it's probably not deer--I don't think they venture into the city very often. I'm thinking it's probably some kind of caterpillar, but the squirrel idea is a possibility too. Are there any caterpillars out this early? Or what about other pests?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Meg, Don't know about the caerpillar time frame but I would guess not. Have you considered rabbits?

New Haven, CT(Zone 6a)

Hmm, I've never seen a rabbit hopping around dntn New Haven, and besides, whatever it is ate pretty high up on the branches. It'd have to be a tall rabbit...

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

New Haven is famous for its giant attack rabbits!

New Haven, CT(Zone 6a)

Yeah, like the Wallace and Grommit movie---I think all gardeners should see it. It's really funny!!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I was thinking more Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail but I like Wallace & Grommit too!

New Haven, CT(Zone 6a)

oh yeah, i forgot about that rabbit! hey, maybe i could do a study on "killer rabbits in comedy films: trends and theories" or something! sounds like more fun than what i'm currently working on...

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Wouldn't it have to killer rabbits in French literature?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.